To cut back or not to cut back,that is the question!

luvdoggies4February 28, 2007

I no longer cut back my huge pampas grasses. It is just to painful! Anyone have some tips taking care of perennial grasses?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
little_country_gal(z7 VA)

Use a chain saw!!!

That's what my parents do with their HUGE zebra grass clump. It was planted (transplanted actually) in the early 80's and was part of the original farm that is centuries old. Every spring my father tries to thin it down a bit by offering everybody clumps from the side of it, but it just keeps getting bigger and bigger. They no longer try to cut it back in the spring, he just whips out the trusty chain saw and with a few well placed swipes the trimming is done!

By the way, I tried not cutting back one of my clumps (too lazy I guess) a few years ago and I wasn't happy with it. Now I see it more as a start of spring:

Winter sow annuals
Plant tomato / pepper seeds
Cut back zebra grasses
Prune the roses...

Ah! Spring is right around the corner!

Bookmark   February 28, 2007 at 10:35AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
meldy_nva(z6b VA)

When it comes to trimming back those huge clumps of dead grass, I think a lot of avoidance is due to the MESS. Neighbor ties twine around her pampas; divides it into 4 or 5 sheaves, each with three or four rows of twine pulled as tight as possible. Then she cuts across the bottom of each shock, which gives her an already-tied bundle that can be carried away. I always think of those old engravings of wheat shocks when I see those bundles.

Bookmark   March 2, 2007 at 9:51AM
More Discussions
Success with Heather?
Has anyone had any success with growing heath/heather...
shawnees
Growing Artichokes in N. VA
I am going to try again to grow artichokes in Northern...
charlieboring
Wanted: Gardeners with vision
Hello, I am writing a book about the gardens I am doing...
flowercutter
Paw Paw and Gojiberry Seedlings
I have a couple of paw paw seedlings and two gojiberry...
charlieboring
organic container gardening
I need sources nurseries for organic container garden...
laffanyway
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™