Favorite garening books

sun_devilFebruary 3, 2008

What are your favorite gardening books? Are there any that you find particularly helpful for someone in Virginia?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bubba62

I'm in Newport News, and if I had to list favorites (excluding books on specific genera and species), I'd choose "Garden Bulbs for the South" by Scott Ogden (be sure to get the newer edition - it's been greatly expanded), anything written by Pamela Harper, especially "Time Tested Plants" (she lives and gardens in Seaford), and the website/catalog of Plant Delights Nursery in Raleigh. The last one isn't technically a book, but it's one of the best sources of things that will grow here and info on how to grow them.

Bookmark   February 10, 2008 at 2:23PM
gardener_sandy

Also not a book, but there are tons of free publications on many different topics available from VA Tech. I've included a link to the index of pubs. Great stuff and lots is very specific for Virginia.

Here is a link that might be useful: VA Tech publications index

Bookmark   February 11, 2008 at 12:15PM
meldy_nva(z6b VA)

Square Foot Gardening because Mel Bartholomew made family veggie gardening into a sensible process. I actually prefer the earlier editions, but any is better than none. His recipes for soil are just as effective when used for flowers.

Continuous Blooms (Pam Duthrie), for its extensive coverage. It's too easy to forget that sequential blooms can be as impressive as the usual all-summer flowers; and most of her suggestions do quite well in our area.

Bookmark   March 3, 2008 at 12:48PM
thistle5(z7 VA)

One of my favorites is 'The Southern Gardener's Book of Lists' by Lois Trigg Chaplin (Taylor, 1994)- I always get good ideas from this book...I'm in northern VA, also check out Plant Delights catalog & your local nurseries...

Bookmark   March 6, 2008 at 5:56PM
gardnerkiki

the Washington Star Garden Book. It was first written in the 60s and then updated in the 90's I have gone through at least three through the years and love it. They look at the Washington DC area zone and not south of say Charlottesville. I highly recommend it and many libraries in VA carry it.

Bookmark   March 13, 2008 at 7:45PM
barbiefish

Definitely, Pamela Harper's Time Tested Plants is a winner. My other favorites are Dirr's Manual of Woody Landscape Plants and Vertrees'/Gregory's Japanese Maples. Catalogs with a lot of helpful info on plants are Greer Gardens and ForestFarm; also Rare Finds Nursery.

Bookmark   April 10, 2008 at 9:47PM
More Discussions
Wanted: Gardeners with vision
Hello, I am writing a book about the gardens I am doing...
flowercutter
Planting Garlic in Northern VA
Friday, 10/17/2014, I prepared a new area and expanded...
charlieboring
New home for any unwanted winter holiday plants
I'm interested in any of the holiday plants used for...
dhd47
Virginia Cooperative Extension needs your help!
VCE is updating its program that helps Virginia residents...
Susan_R
Planting onion bulbs
I noticed they had onion bulbs on sale at the Fair...
dhd47
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™