when is it a good time to cut back roses

figgy(z7va)February 10, 2008

Just wondering when it would be best to cut back my roses? I liv in the Smithfield area. Also do I need to cut knockout roses also or just leave them alone? Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardener_sandy

I cut back my roses just as the leaf buds start to swell nicely. That makes it easier to see where to cut. This is my first year with a Knockout and I plan to just cut back some ratty looking stems and leave the rest.

Here's a link to a good publication on pruning roses.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rose pruning

Bookmark   February 11, 2008 at 12:21PM
leslies(z7 No VA)

Don't cut back roses just for the heck of it. Prune only if you know the rose requires pruning.

I wait until early spring when I can tell which canes, if any, are dead. These I cut back to living tissue or to the base, depending on the amount of dead cane.

You should not need to prune Knockouts or their relatives at all. In fact, the plants will have a nicer overall shape if you leave them alone. My Blushing KOs are leafy and have flowers to the ground every year and I don't cut anything except the reversions (and not even all of those).

Bookmark   February 21, 2008 at 3:48PM
sunnishine

if you don't prune knockouts they will eventually get way too tall and not have the shape you want. They should be trimmed like any other flowering shrub. I learned this from a very reliable source. If interested in the method go to the rose forum and read "Paul' Pruning Demo".

I am at the beach and we pruned last weekend like our local rose society suggested. I would wait at least another week for you. I know it is supposed to get down to the 30's a couple of nights this week down here. The last frost date for your area is a good guide line.

Bookmark   March 6, 2008 at 10:06PM
More Discussions
Blueberries in fredericksburg
I'm looking to plant bb in the burg. Have prepped the...
gastone21
Wanted: Gardeners with vision
Hello, I am writing a book about the gardens I am doing...
flowercutter
New to Virginia - Vegtable Theif
I am new to Virginia, Fort Eustis to be precise. And...
armywifecw
Starting My 2015 Garden
I planted some seeds inside my basement in December....
charlieboring
When is it time to start planting lettuce and endive?
I'm in the NOVA area of VA and wanted to know when...
dhd47
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™