container size for pickering mango tree

GrassFlatsOctober 9, 2013

Hello All,

im new to the forum, just got a pickering mango tree shipped to me from Pine Island Nursery. I plan on stepping up the size of container from 3 gal to 7 gal to 15 gal. Can i then keep the tree in the 15 gal pot from then on or do i have to go bigger. Thanks for the help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
puglvr1(9b central FL)

Congrats on your new mango tree...to answer your question whether you can keep your mango tree in a 15 gallon ( for a maximum pot size) will depend on how big you want you want your tree to reach eventually.

If you decide to keep it in a 15 gallon once the roots completely "fill" the pot you will have learn to trim the roots (many people) including myself is a little nervous doing that,lol...

My 7 year old Glenn is in a 45 gallon pot because I'm not a big fan of trimming roots...though I have done it ( had success and also had killed a tree or two)...its still not one of my favorite things to do :o)

BTW, I also 'pug' (trim/shape) my mango trees once a year...to keep it small and bushy...

Bookmark   October 9, 2013 at 2:33PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
puglvr1(9b central FL)

Hi Grassflats...I received your email and responded but I realized that I'm unable to send it to you because you did not choose the email response box on your Profile...this was on the bottom of the email you sent me...Please resend your email with your address, thanks!

Just wanted to let you know...

" (PLEASE NOTE: The member responding to your post has chosen not to reveal his or her email address. Therefore, you cannot reply to this message via email.)"

Bookmark   December 29, 2013 at 11:40AM
More Discussions
Avocado leaves dying
I've been growing two avocado plants for about 10 months...
leuconoe
Need help with mango tree
I have a tree and was wondering if in the future it...
lindalepark2006713
WTB Wax Jambu, Star fruit and Barbados Cherry cuttings
Want to buy (WTB) cuttings of the following plants Star...
poetie
How to protect your tropical fruit trees from freezing?
Here in 9b fl, we're expecting some hours of freezing...
bananafan2
Sugar Apple Leaf Problem
Hello all; can you tell what is the issue with my Sugar...
BahamaDan ZTropic
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™