Looking for a park near Linden Virginia

nightbloomincereus 7A noVA(7a Northern VA)February 11, 2008

Several years ago I took some botany courses at GMU in

Fairfax VA. Dr. Bradley was an expert in the field of plant identification and part of the classes involved field trips to various sites either for collecting plants for study (relax folks, only by permission) or to observe populations in their native environments. One place in particular was a lot of fun in the springtime. There was some kind of park several miles north of Linden, VA which was full of trilliums, jack in the pulpits and a horde of other spring delights. I have absolutely no idea what this place is named or how to get there. My only clue is that it might be on Blue Mountain. I'd very much like to go there this spring so you see my dilemma. Anyone want to take a crack at this?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vaherbmom

I live near Linden but don't know what park that is. Sky Meadows state park does have trilliums in the spring. I have seen a number of other wildflowers there also.

Bookmark   February 12, 2008 at 1:00PM
blackdog

You probably visited the spectacular display at the G. Richard Thompson Wildlife Management Area on Blue Mountain. From John Marshall Highway (route 55) near Linden, go north on 638 Freezeland Road, and keep to right to go to the top of the mountain and watch for turnoffs/parking areas to the Wildlife Mgmt. Area (there are about 5-6) on your right. Some have big maps that show the trail system. The Appalachian trail snakes through the area. Trilliums in bloom usually first two weeks in May (I noted May 8th as peak in 2007). Also lovely yellow ladyslippers. Don't miss them!

Bookmark   February 13, 2008 at 10:14AM
nightbloomincereus 7A noVA(7a Northern VA)

Thanks for both suggestions. I'll make the time to visit both parks before spring bloom sets in just to be sure. In the end I may visit both of them in May to see everything. :-)

Bookmark   February 13, 2008 at 1:00PM
joeyoso

Are you talking about Silver Lake maybe. Im not sure if theyre still open though.

Bookmark   March 14, 2008 at 1:41PM
sunny631(7B)

There's not much in Linden but is it possible you were on Skyline drive??

Bookmark   November 12, 2008 at 1:51PM
bart1(6/7 Northern VA)

blackdog got it right......Thompson WMA is where you want to go. Especially the section off of Freezland Rd. THat's where the VA Native Plant society has their spring wildflower/trilium walk.

Bart

Bookmark   November 14, 2008 at 11:01AM
More Discussions
Blueberries in fredericksburg
I'm looking to plant bb in the burg. Have prepped the...
gastone21
new to Hampton Roads
Hello out there, I left my gardens in Ohio for a new...
abbiejan64
Growing Artichokes in N. VA
I am going to try again to grow artichokes in Northern...
charlieboring
When is it time to start planting lettuce and endive?
I'm in the NOVA area of VA and wanted to know when...
dhd47
Wanted: Gardeners with vision
Hello, I am writing a book about the gardens I am doing...
flowercutter
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™