My sickly dogwood and now shade perennials dying

mams99March 30, 2009

I'm so bummed. While I'm frustrated with the back patio plants, I REALLY liked the plants I had picked for the front yard. It faces east and has a smalllllll front area. In the middle is a dogwood and one edge were 6 foot tall bushes that my neighbor has. Well, first, after I put in all my nice shade partial sun/light shade plants, my neighbor cut her bushes down by half. So, they got more sun. Then last year, after 3 years of no problem, my dogwood looked sickly and the leaves were dwarfed and didn't provide much shade. I have now lost 1/2 of the perennials I planted there. I just want to cry!

Do dogwoods die from this anthracnose? Now I don't know WHAT to plant there. If the dogwood bounces back, I'll have more shade again (it's not a huge tree), but if it continues, I'll have an east side exposure with no shade until afternoon.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
summerstar(Z7VA)

Sorry to hear about your problem. I don't believe a dogwood tree would die in one year from contracting this disease or be threatened by losing some shade. Here in central VA most dogwoods are growing in full sun, some 20-30 years old and others younger. Wild dogwoods grow here along the forest's edge and receive a good amount of sun.

If you have the 'Florida' variety and contract a disease, you'll have to spray them with a fungicide such as Daconil or liquid copper approximately every 10 to 14 days from now till mid-June. 'Florida' is "resistant" to many diseases such as powdery mildew, anthracnose, and canker, but you'll notice the word used is "resistant" and doesn't mean the tree won't encounter the disease.

I lost two dogwoods in the 'Florida' variety and have one red dogwood of this type that I'm babying by spraying and praying. I decided to try the beautiful 'Kousa' variety of dogwood that's far more hardy. Look for a single trunk type. When 'Kousa' reaches maturity, it's absolutely elegant AND more hardy than 'Florida'.

I'm surprised that your part-sun/part-shade perennials died from exposure to more sun. They CAN take a half-day of sun with the addition of more water. What variety are they?

Bookmark   April 1, 2009 at 5:59PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
DWA in AZ Sunset zone 12(9a Tucson AZ)

Are your neighbor's shrubs healthy? I'm wondering if you should have a soil test since all your plants are dying. In Fairfax county you can get the kits at the library, so check there wherever you are. Several years ago the cost was $7. You mark the form for what your soil usage is, follow their directions for collecting a soil sample, and the VA Tech extension service sends back a report and recommendation.
A lot of shade perennials are moisture lovers, and a tree plus shrubs can suck a lot of water from the soil. Weekly deep watering is supposed to be better. One way to check for an inch is to put a cat food can out where you are watering. When it is full, you've watered an inch.

Bookmark   April 1, 2009 at 7:45PM
More Discussions
What is that on the Apple tree branch?
Hi, I am a fairly new fruit tree grower and last month...
Virginia6b
New home for any unwanted winter holiday plants
I'm interested in any of the holiday plants used for...
dhd47
Growing Blue Bells and Wildflowers - Painter, VA
Growing up I remember Dog Tooth Violet, Spring Beauty,...
evelyn257
When is it time to start planting lettuce and endive?
I'm in the NOVA area of VA and wanted to know when...
dhd47
Planting onion bulbs
I noticed they had onion bulbs on sale at the Fair...
dhd47
Sponsored Products
Lambert Hill Black Outdoor Wall Lantern
$44.60 | Bellacor
Poppy Microplush Blanket and 2 Piece Sham Set
Overstock.com
Illumine Wall Mounted Lighting & Sconces Designer Collection 1-Light Bronze
$46.40 | Home Depot
Two King 590TC Pillowcases - WHITE
$220.00 | Horchow
Hinkley Lighting | Congress 3149 Ceiling Light
$129.00 | YLighting