Tamarind leaves turned pink?

dubai-gardenerOctober 9, 2013

Hello,

I have a young tamarind tree on which the leaves turned pink. I don't know what caused this. They were green and only the new leaves would start as pink and would turn green later. Is it overwatering or underwatering or something else? Help, I don't want it to die, it survived the triple digits of the summer, can't let it die now.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tropicbreezent

Do you have photos? Are you saying the green leaves turned pink, or just that the new leaves are staying pink?

Generally tamarinds are a very tough tree. You don't want to over water them, they need to be well drained. Heat isn't a problem, they actually prefer it.

Bookmark   October 9, 2013 at 10:40PM
dubai-gardener

I am a bit confused now. I remember that the new leaves would start as pink and turn green. Now all are pink. I linked to a photo.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pic

This post was edited by dubai-gardener on Wed, Oct 9, 13 at 23:52

Bookmark   October 9, 2013 at 11:48PM
tropicbreezent

That does look quite strange. Seems like it lost all its leaves and now is having a flush of new ones. Quite frankly, I've never noticed anything like that with mine. I have about 30 to 40 trees ranging from about 2 metres to 5 metres tall. They always stay green and often lose some leaves during the hot dry weather. I've never noticed new leaves come out like that. I'd leave it go for a while making sure not to over water. Aside from the colour the leaves look healthy.

Bookmark   October 10, 2013 at 6:41AM
dubai-gardener

Tropicbreezent thank you for reassurance. Every tree I have is special, I care about each of them deeply. I got it from my grandmother, RIP, who would always talk to her plants. Amazingly she had her indoor plants that lived for more than 25 years (and probably are still there). I don't recall other details of her routine but I clearly remember how she would tell me how she cherishes all her plants and that you NEED to talk to them. I don't talk to mine but I think about them.
I will report how the tamarind tree does.

Bookmark   October 10, 2013 at 7:42AM
tropicbreezent

Well good luck with it. I checked mine this morning, no pink leaves. There weren't any new leaves flushing. We're coming out of out dry season and it's hot and no rain. When our rains come the tamarinds should start putting out new growth.

Bookmark   October 10, 2013 at 10:18PM
More Discussions
Where to purchase Seedless Guava Tree that ships to CA?
Hello everyone, last month, my uncle brough me two...
simon_grow
Need help choosing containers for red maradol papaya
Hi friends, I am planning to start red maradol papaya...
vidnand
My Chikoo (Sapodilla) is flowering!
Hello everyone! I am glad to see how my young tree...
MohammadLawati
Lychee like grapes
I just sat down reading some of the forum posts with...
zone10aridgardener
Yellowing of Papaya leaves
Hi all, My papaya plant has been losing it's lower...
CoryMiamiBeach
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™