'Brooks Late' Mango

adielOctober 20, 2011

Has anyone had any experience with the 'Brooks Late' mango? I heard that it suppose to be a later season mango than Neelum and have good flavor?

Adiel

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
adiel

To answer my own question, it looks like the 'Brooks Late' is the same mango as the 'Brooks', just another name for it. So it looks like its just an old commercial variety from Florida. :)

Bookmark   October 20, 2011 at 2:13PM
hmhausman(FL 10B)

Be careful Adiel.....if you keep asking the questions and then answering them yourself, people will think you may have gotten a little fruity in the head. LOL......no, seriously....Brooks or Brooks Late are not in my collection. What makes you ask about it? I assume by your question that you've never tried it. I think one of our posters,Squam, might have some knowledge about it. Let's see if he does?

Harry

Bookmark   October 20, 2011 at 2:25PM
adiel

Haha!! Could be true! ..., some friends down south said they liked the fact that it fruited this year after all the mangos were gone (even neelum was gone). And the taste was not that bad. Maybe something to have around just to have fresh mangos late in the season? I'll let the others post their opinion on it...

Adiel

Bookmark   October 20, 2011 at 4:10PM
bsbullie

Adiel - I would not go by this year's mango season as it was truly all screwed up timing wise. You mention Neelums which are usually one of the latest varieties, well in Palm Beach County, the people I know who were growing them were done in early to mid august with Kents and Kietts still on the tree. In a typical season, you should have mangoes going well into September with some possibly straggling into October. Soooo, in my opinion, is planting an average quality Brooks worth it, no. What are the chances of another repeat season like 2011, who knows but odds are in your favor that the majority of years will provide the usual late season varieties ripening into September and possibly October.

Rob

Bookmark   October 20, 2011 at 7:02PM
adiel

Rob, thanks for the good info. As far as flavor, has anyone tried the 'Brooks' a.k.a. 'Brooks Late'?

Adiel

Bookmark   October 21, 2011 at 8:17AM
squam256

Brooks is actually the second oldest mango to be named in Florida after Haden. It was a Sandersha seedling. It is *probably* the parent of Keitt and its a parent of several other Florida cultivars including Kent.

Its a decent producer but fairly average flavor-wise.....its fairly mild, has a little bit of fiber.....its progeny have proven to be better mangoes. Its main 'value' is that fact that its a late-season mango and there aren't as many late season cultivars as early season, but Keitt, Valencia Pride, Lancetilla, and Palmer are all better than Brooks,imo.

I think it may be for that reason that some older commercial groves have sold them green.....and it is generally only found in older groves. There are some plantings in Homestead and Merrit Island.

Interestingly there is a 'Golden Brooks' mango cultivar which I haven't tried before. Perhaps its an improvement on its parent like 'Golden Lippens' was.

Bookmark   October 21, 2011 at 9:47AM
More Discussions
Need help with mango tree
I have a tree and was wondering if in the future it...
lindalepark2006713
The Freeze in Central Florida!
The most top branches, the last 3 inches or so suffered...
seagel
Why Doesn't My Sapodilla Ripen?
My sapodilla tree has had a good crop of fist-sized...
billbrandi
Need help choosing containers for red maradol papaya
Hi friends, I am planning to start red maradol papaya...
vidnand
Is my tree a Sapote or a Sapodilla?
Hello, I am new to this forum and growing tropical...
waterfowler90
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™