If you can't see them...

MKull(8 SATX)July 24, 2014

then they can't see you right?

I found this Texas Spiny Lizard half-way burrowed under a rock in one of our beds today. I checked on it about 15 minutes later and it was in the same position. I tapped its tail and it twisted around, looked at me and bolted. I guess it thought it was in far enough to be protected :D

Shame on me for interrupting a wonderful siesta!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PKponder TX(7b)

they are beautiful lizards. Some of ours have green or almost turquoise colors on their sides.

Thanks for sharing and better you disturbing him than the neighbor's cat :-)

Bookmark   July 24, 2014 at 6:37PM
roselee z8b S.W. Texas

Awww ... he thinks he's safe, but hopefully learned a lesson on keeping that tail hidden from your handling him. Neat photo!

Bookmark   July 24, 2014 at 8:25PM
MKull(8 SATX)

So this is interesting. I checked on the burrow later and it was completely covered over. Even the soil that was kicked onto the pavers was moved back, and the area scrubbed clean like nothing ever happened. I asked my wife why she covered it up and she had no idea what I was talking about. I did a little research and it turns out the female does just that. Digs a burrow in a sunny location, lays 8-30ish eggs, covers the burrow and never returns. The eggs hatch in 40-80ish days. I would have guessed they were ovoviviparous so it's pretty cool I think.

Hopefully there are eggs since it was covered back up. Typical male, gotta touch stuff we shouldn't. It chose a spot that's smack dab in the middle of a feral cat highway so I'm glad to see it made it that far.

Bookmark   July 24, 2014 at 10:21PM
roselee z8b S.W. Texas

It IS interesting! Wow, she was building a nest. My box turtles lay 3 to 5 eggs in shallow nests they scoop out and then cover over. Wanting to see the eggs hatch once I collected them and put them in a plastic container covered with net and left them in the warmth of the covered patio. Within a day ants had found and ruined them ... :-( So no more messing around with Mother Nature for me.

Bookmark   July 24, 2014 at 10:51PM
marti8a

How neat. Those things are fast. Since I've been seeing them lately, I haven't seen as many anoles. And that is a good thing.

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 12:29AM
More Discussions
I'm moving over here :) Castle looking house
Hi all! I recently posted pics over on the landscaping...
joannatmf
Does this organic weedkiller REALLY work?
I've been hearing a lot of claims that a combination...
mrs.wiggley
WANTED: San Antonio Plant Swap
Mark your calendars: Sat., April 18, 9 am, Rogiers...
loreleicomal
Rain Event, SE Texas
It doesn't look like we'll be planting our veggie garden...
luvs2plant
My 1st Iris - From the Swap - ID Please
I'm not sure who gave me this from the swap, but thank...
pinkkpearls
Sponsored Products
Porcelain Vessel Sink
MR Direct Sinks and Faucets
Echo Grande Pendant
Lightology
Pink Deluxe Doll House Furniture Set
Classic Hostess
65" Minka Aire Slipstream White Outdoor Ceiling Fan
Lamps Plus
The King's Game Set
$44.99 | Dot & Bo