Oh, what to plant under/front of lilacs?

bigpaws12April 23, 2010

Howdy and thanks.. I've got a short and narrow bed of lilacs on the "unused" side of my home. It's a challenging spot.. Gets BLASTED by the sun about 2/3 of the day (southeast facing), and we've got some hard clay here- it's on a slope so it's too well-drained. I'm looking for some suggestions to fill the area under/in front of the lilacs... hoping to find a nice perennial, flowering perhaps, maybe a mounding ground cover that can take these conditions too. How the lilacs have made it I have NO idea! I need something that can take abuse and dish it back to me with flowers ;) I don't want anything that grows greater than 18" high, and I don't need evergreen. It'd be nice to have something that either blooms at the same time (April) or follows soon thereafter. No poky thorny stuff!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tazebell

I can't help you out really. A little princess spirea self seeded in front of one of my lilacs but I love your phrase "no poky thorny stuff"!

Bookmark   April 29, 2010 at 9:26AM
bluewillowgarden

Hmmm... not really original but perhaps one of the low sedums, like the red 'dragon's blood' or yellow'acre'?? Or maybe star of bethlehem. I don't have trouble keeping it in check around here since I mow next to it. Good luck!

Bookmark   May 7, 2010 at 9:32AM
burbagehouse

Rudbeckia (Black Eyed Susan) will meet all your requirements but the one about April blooming (most are mid-summer bloomers). They are indifferent to clay/poor soils, re-seed happily if allowed to, bloom prolifically, shrug off drought once established, and love hot, sunny locations. Unlike many flowers, they will tolerate the alkaline soils your lilacs prefer. As a bonus, they come now in many varieties and color combinations, even the tallest of which do not exceed 24". If you are willing to amend the soil just a little with some topsoil and compost, Gallardia are another sun-and-heat-loving beautiful selection, which will bloom for MONTHS if deadheaded. Both these choices are robust perennials, and both should be cut to ground level after fall [scattering seed heads if you choose].

Bookmark   May 20, 2010 at 5:48PM
More Discussions
Wanted: Gardeners with vision
Hello, I am writing a book about the gardens I am doing...
flowercutter
Pomegranates This Winter
I'm wondering if there are any particular strategies...
drmbear
Planting onion bulbs
I noticed they had onion bulbs on sale at the Fair...
dhd47
Blueberries in fredericksburg
I'm looking to plant bb in the burg. Have prepped the...
gastone21
Paw Paw and Gojiberry Seedlings
I have a couple of paw paw seedlings and two gojiberry...
charlieboring
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™