Why kind of tree is this?

ITSecGuyApril 4, 2013

I've searched and searched and I just can't find the answer to my questions so I'm counting on your guys/gals :).

A) What kind of tree is this (I'd swear that it's a Magnolia tree but I live in the DC metro area and thought those were only in the deep south)

B) Why does mine always bloom 2-3 earlier than all the others (of the same type) in my neighborhood every year?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardener_sandy

It's a saucer magnolia, Magnolia ÃÂ soulangiana. They bloom like this before the leaves come on the tree. Mine often gets hit by a freeze just as it's starting to bloom and the opened blooms turn brown. Some years it makes it past the freezes and it is gorgeous. The Southern Magnolia, magnolia grandiflora, is evergreen and blooms later. It has an incredibly sweet scent while the saucer magnolia doesn't have much scent at all.

Sandy

Bookmark   April 4, 2013 at 8:45PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sara82lee(8a - SE Va)

We had one of these when I was a kid living in northern Ohio, far from the deep south! It was a great tree to sit in, and was a pretty good size, so it must have been happy that far north. It was always the first thing I saw blooming in the spring, before the rest of the trees in the neighborhood were even thinking of putting out leaves. I do remember, though, that when the blooms were done, they petals fell all over the driveway and stank if we didn't sweep them up right away. So there's your scent :)

I'm glad you posted this. I always wondered why, when someone here said, "Magnolia," the tree they were talking about looked different than the one I grew up with. I have to say I like mine (and yours) better! Now I know what it's called. I might find one to plant in my yard.

Bookmark   April 6, 2013 at 11:07AM
More Discussions
Blueberries in fredericksburg
I'm looking to plant bb in the burg. Have prepped the...
gastone21
What is that on the Apple tree branch?
Hi, I am a fairly new fruit tree grower and last month...
Virginia6b
Pomegranates This Winter
I'm wondering if there are any particular strategies...
drmbear
New to Virginia - Vegtable Theif
I am new to Virginia, Fort Eustis to be precise. And...
armywifecw
Paw Paw and Gojiberry Seedlings
I have a couple of paw paw seedlings and two gojiberry...
charlieboring
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™