Hothouse tomatoes

grrrr.eggMay 5, 2012

I have just built a 2.4 x 1.5 x 2m high hothouse. Our daylight hours are at minimum 10. Night temperatures can fall to 4 or 5 Celsius in mid winter. Daytime temperatures rarely fall below 14 c but mostly a few degrees warmer at least.

Will I need to heat and or add light to successfully grow tomatoes in my little hothouse.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

The Aussie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
containerted

While the temperatures you post are not good for rapid germination of seeds, they should support moderate to slow growth of tomato plants. I would suggest you make sure the plants are well established seedlings before committing them to the "indoors". Keep the newly germinated seedlings warm until they have at least the firt set of real leaves - preferably the second set.

Ted

Bookmark   May 5, 2012 at 8:41AM
Foodtomax(Mid North Coast NSW)

hi grrrr.egg no probs I go down below freezing. The first tomato last year was Marmande which set while others had their flowers falling off. This year I'm trying more cold climate varieties including pathenocarpic tomatoes that set at lower temps. many of these are available in Oz. Cheers Max

Bookmark   June 27, 2012 at 11:21PM
cole_robbie(6)

Greetings from very far away! The temperatures you quoted are outside temps, right? What matters is the temperature inside the hothouse. For myself, on a sunny February day in Illinois, which is our very early spring, it can be 7 degrees Celsius outside and yet still be 35 degrees inside. Solar gain should make it nice and warm inside, and you should have tomatoes as long as things don't freeze on a cold night. Good luck with everything.

Bookmark   June 28, 2012 at 2:17AM
More Discussions
The Kumato Tomato Thread
There is a litany of information across this forum...
smithmal
Big Boo-Boo! On Red Robins
I started some Red Robins a while back, or I thought...
wertach zone 7-B SC
Tell me your ultimate tomatoes
Highest yield: Best flavor: Easiest/most disease resistant: Best...
shijitake
Please Critique Selections for 2015
My garden each year seems to expand here in N. Indiana...
hoosier318
Which tomato would you grow?
Out of the seeds I have, which would you grow two of?...
shijitake
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™