grafted tomatoes

Campanula UK Z8May 2, 2012

as a general non-contributor to this forum (altho' I of course do grow tomatoes) please forgive but just wondered what the feelings were about grafted tomatoes. This little craze has been going for around 3 years in the UK although I regard it with deepest scepticism, not least because of the horrendous prices (around 30 times more expensive than a seed grown plant and 5 times as much as an average plug plant).

Last year, grafted peppers appeared on the market too. Scam or worthwhile?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
carolyn137(z4/5 NY)

Below is a link to a search I did here at GW about grafted tomatoes and there are several threads about it with the opinions of others.

I have my own opinion but will wait until you have a chance to read those threads. ( smile)

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: Grafted tomatoes

Bookmark   May 2, 2012 at 7:57AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Campanula UK Z8

Oh, cheers, Carolyn. I cannot see any reason to go for these as the only really annoying problems for me in East Anglia are blight (and crappy summers). I grow about 50 or so for making sauce mostly and get a regular smith period update so I can rush out with the bordeaux if needed. Also, i like to keep things as simple as possible (and, as a poor jobbing gardener, as cheap) so I am thinking that grafted toms are going to remain in theoryland.

Bookmark   May 2, 2012 at 4:27PM
More Discussions
Supermarket Tomatoes Plants II
Here we go again. I have started 8 more seedlings for...
garf_gw
Please Critique Selections for 2015
My garden each year seems to expand here in N. Indiana...
hoosier318
Better than a ziplock bag
Credit: Durgan from Brantford came up with the idea. Pop...
BriAnDaren Ottawa, On Zone 5
The Kumato Tomato Thread
There is a litany of information across this forum...
smithmal
Tomatoes from my trip to Sicily
I went back this summer to my birthplace, Sicily and...
sicilianu
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™