need ideas for interplanting asters

aew75(7)April 8, 2013

I have a large front bed filled with asters, boltonia,and grasses (full sun,slight slope, DRY!) under a very young hawthorne tree that is totally bare right now. I would love to interplant with some spring bloomers but I'm not sure what would be appropriate. The only thing coming to mind right now is daffodils. I am looking for other suggestions. Maybe a spring blooming groundcover that will enjoy the shade come June/july? Other interesting bulbs?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
meldy_nva(z6b VA)

I really like daffies, so I think you have a good daffy bed which already contains some summer and fall bloomers :))

Start with a couple aconite plants and some hellebore for really early blooms, about Feb. Buy an assortment of daffys (Check out JohnScheepers, if budget is tight wait for their November sale to buy) and you can have blooms from very early March through mid-May. You *might* be able to have tulips following - if the drainage is good and the squirrels don't see the bulbs. Then an assortment of allium will bloom in May and June. I have lilies of all sorts, which start blooming in late May and usually continue through July -- those are always finished by August, which leaves that difficult month with no perennial blooms. I've been planting snapdragons to fill in that time (I know, they aren't supposed to do well here, but I've had excellent luck with them)... those do need water but if you mulch well and then use a drip hose, about an hour of water once a week will reward you with a lot bloom even in the July-August heat.

Phlox also do very well as a filler, but also need a lot of extra water in August. Everything else I've tried seems to require more water, more often, than I'm willing to do. Some years ago I had mirabilis in a side bed which did very well without extra water, so I'm planting some seeds and will try those this year.

Good luck!

Bookmark   May 17, 2013 at 12:37PM
More Discussions
Where in Virgina should we move to? Please help.
I know this is a bit of an oddball topic, but I'm a...
pequafrog
When is it time to start planting lettuce and endive?
I'm in the NOVA area of VA and wanted to know when...
dhd47
Virginia Cooperative Extension needs your help!
VCE is updating its program that helps Virginia residents...
Susan_R
Blueberries in fredericksburg
I'm looking to plant bb in the burg. Have prepped the...
gastone21
New home for any unwanted winter holiday plants
I'm interested in any of the holiday plants used for...
dhd47
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™