Where to buy cocoa shell mulch in NoVA?

umayamla(7a)May 17, 2013

Hi All,
I would like to use cocoa shell mulch in my community garden this season but I'm having trouble finding it in Northern Virginia. I've looked at several Home Depots and they have no idea what I'm talking about. I plan to use it to mulch my vegetable garden which is in a fenced in community garden, so I won't have to worry about dogs accidentally eating it. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
meldy_nva(z6b VA)

Merrifield Garden Ctr still had some as of last Wednesday. That's the only place I know of that actually carries it all the time. I think it was about $12 per 2 cu.ft bag. My Corolla holds 8 bags easy (4 in trunk and 4 on back seat), and I have carried as many 14 bags - it's not heavy, just bulky. If you are over 65 y/o, don't forget to tell the cashier so as to get 10% discount (they never ask you but are cheerful about applying the discount).

Remember that it truly does only need about an inch depth, so one bag covers a lot of square footage.

Bookmark   May 17, 2013 at 12:13PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
umayamla(7a)

Thanks so much. I happen to live close by Merrifield Garden near Dunn Loring but have only purchased organic pesticides there in the past. I'm going to check it out and hopefully buy 2-3 bags to bring to my garden plot at work. I've heard such good things about this mulch and wanted to try some different than hardwood.

Bookmark   May 18, 2013 at 10:33PM
More Discussions
New to Virginia - Vegtable Theif
I am new to Virginia, Fort Eustis to be precise. And...
armywifecw
Growing Artichokes in N. VA
I am going to try again to grow artichokes in Northern...
charlieboring
Fuyu in Northern VA
My fuyu persimmon tree shown in the picture had a great...
charlieboring
Pomegranates This Winter
I'm wondering if there are any particular strategies...
drmbear
4-season perennials for clay soil
We are looking for some shrubs/other plants to cover...
jackileighw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™