Organic Kelp Sprays

piotr01May 19, 2008

Can anyone recommend an organic kelp spray for my veggie garden and tomatoes? Also where to buy them online.

-Peter

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
piotr01

Here is an article about it,

http://www.tomatocasual.com/2007/07/31/tomatoes-love-the-beach-how-seaweed-can-improve-tomato-growth-yield-flavor/

Here is a link that might be useful: Tomatoes Love the Beach: How Seaweed Can Improve Tomato Growth, Yield and Flavor

Bookmark   May 19, 2008 at 7:16AM
carolyn137(z4/5 NY)

One of the best brands, I think, is Neptune's Harvest. Look for it locally or Google it and look for those who sell it.

Carolyn

Bookmark   May 19, 2008 at 7:24AM
miesenbacher(7)

This site has some organic kelp products including Neptune's Harvest previously mentioned by Carolyn.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fifth Season Gardening

Bookmark   May 19, 2008 at 8:04AM
piotr01

For the Neptune would you recommend just the seaweed or the seaweed and fish? this would be for my veggie garden.....

Would 1 gallon last enough for a 150 square foot garden threw the summer?

Bookmark   May 19, 2008 at 1:10PM
louster(5)

Hi, I also have a question.....how much of this do I need for about 30 tomato plants? Thanks!!

Bookmark   May 19, 2008 at 2:02PM
carolyn137(z4/5 NY)

For the Neptune would you recommend just the seaweed or the seaweed and fish? this would be for my veggie garden.....
Would 1 gallon last enough for a 150 square foot garden threw the summer?

Makes no difference as to seaweed or seaweed plus fish as I see it since both are low NPK but have lots of micronutruents which is why they're used.

The one gal must be a pre-made liquid prep and I never used that. I buy the concentrate and dilute it up to spray and I think those are something like 8 oz bottles which last a good long time and would do many many 150 sq fr gardens.

Carolyn

Bookmark   May 19, 2008 at 2:36PM
carolyn137(z4/5 NY)

Hi, I also have a question.....how much of this do I need for about 30 tomato plants? Thanks!!

Please see my above answer about buying the concentrate and not the pre-made liquid mix.

Diluting up the concentrate I could do several hundreds of plants at one time and still have stuff left of the concentrate.

Carolyn

Bookmark   May 19, 2008 at 2:40PM
jbann23(6 RI)

Last year I used a quart of Neptune's Harvest fish/seaweed and was amazed at the quality. This year I purchased a gallon. The one gallon size is the same concentrate as the quart and not premixed. According to the manufacturer you use an ounce and a half to a gallon and a half (watering can)of water. It's not recommended that you attempt to store your diluted solution as it will go bad quickly. Anyway, one quart will do your 30 plants nicely and then some. Use it on everything that grows, it's really good stuff. Carolyn137 - you really got your money's worth if you treated several hundred plants with 8 oz.

Bookmark   May 19, 2008 at 3:33PM
carolyn137(z4/5 NY)

Carolyn137 - you really got your money's worth if you treated several hundred plants with 8 oz.

I guess so. LOL

Maybe I had a larger bottle? Who knows.

And thanks for clarifying that the qt and gal size are still the concentrate.

And if it's of interest to anyone, the variety Neves Azorean Red was obtained from the former owner of the Neptune Harvest Co; his kids run it now as he's retired.

A local friend got seeds from a cousin who got them from him and gave them to me. Knowing the background, I thought I'd let folks know what goes into naming a variety so asked folks here at GW to help do that. And that's how I ended up with the name NAR. I then sent seeds of NAR to all 22 folks who posted in that thread.

And yes, I knew Neptune Harvest products way before the NAR connection. LOL

Another good seaweed product is Squanto's Secret. LOL

Carolyn

Bookmark   May 19, 2008 at 5:02PM
louster(5)

Thanks, Carolyn and jban.......think I will go order. I've been looking for something like this locally, and haven't been able to find it.

Bookmark   May 19, 2008 at 5:31PM
louster(5)

I did a search, and found a place that was cheaper than the previous link provided. Ordered a quart, and with shipping it came to just under $20.

Here is a link that might be useful: Growco Garden supply

Bookmark   May 19, 2008 at 5:55PM
dangould

Everyone here is getting ripped off big time. Burpee sells dry powder kelp for about $6.25 for an ounce of powder. this ounce is about 30 grams and makes 30 gallons or a gram of powder per gallon.

Starwest Botanicals sells a pound of powder for about $5.50 per pound. so it should make about 454 gallons of spray for less money. They have different items to choose from but to help you out you might look for item 201680-51. I always find their web site tricky to use but you can phone them.

Starwest Botanicals
11253 Trade Center Drive
Rancho Cordova , CA 95742

Good Luck

http://www.starwest-botanicals.com/search.php?mode=search&page=1

above gets the item.

Here is a link that might be useful: Starwest Botanicals

Bookmark   May 19, 2008 at 6:36PM
dangould

OK here is the web site.

http://www.starwest-botanicals.com/search.php?mode=search&page=1

Here is a link that might be useful: kelp

Bookmark   May 19, 2008 at 7:06PM
carolyn137(z4/5 NY)

The reason I suggested Neptune's Harvest is b'c they cold press the seaweed which preserves a lot of the micronutrients.

I'm not so sure that a powdered form would be as rich just b'c of the processing and drying down to that powder form.

But of course I don't have any data to compare various brands and different forms, that is, liquid vs powder.

Carolyn

Bookmark   May 19, 2008 at 7:17PM
dr.js

A couple of other places to get kelp for less money
www.gardensalive.com
www.maxicrop.com

Bookmark   January 12, 2009 at 6:47PM
jll0306(9/ Sunset 18/High Desert)

It's so great that old threads come to the top again just as I need them!

I've never done any kind of foliar feed, but I think it's time to add it to the maintenance routine. I have a ton of kelp tablets from the health food store and I'm gonna have plenty of test plants....muahaha!

I KNOW that for years and years, gardeners have managed to garden without buying Brand Name Potions and Solutions, but it is so comforting to have a Ready-Made Palliative.

I'm trying to wean myself off of one of them now, but my seedling babies really seem to like Liquid Karma at transplant time. I wonder if diluted molasses wouldn't do just as well?

Bookmark   January 13, 2009 at 11:40AM
azruss(8b Tucson)

Jan,

I've read that foliar feeding with kelp is especially helpful for us desert growers. Mythology? Don't know, but I'm using a 1/2 strength mix of Neptune's Harvest to water my seedlings. Seedlings getting this do grow faster and stronger than those that don't. My winter "test" Azoychka gets kelp spray about 2x per month and seems to love it. Kelp spray will be standard in this year's garden.

Russ in Marana, AZ

Bookmark   January 13, 2009 at 12:44PM
jll0306(9/ Sunset 18/High Desert)

Russ,

My Azoychka seeds arrived yesterday! How long has yours been growing,and how big is it?

I used the Fish Emulsion on all my plants once a week last year and they liked it. I don't know if I'll use it again though, 'cause the smell attracts raccoons who dig around in the roots looking for dirtfish. It only took me year and a half to figure out that connection!

Bookmark   January 13, 2009 at 3:05PM
azruss(8b Tucson)

I started from seed what turned out to be my "test" Azoychka on Sept. 17. It's in a pot and is now about 4.5 ft. tall. These seeds were from TomatoFest. (The test is to see if I can mollycoddle it through a Tucson winter. So far, so good, but we have been blessed with an _extremely_ mild winter so far, with daytime highs in the 60's to low 70's and nighttime temps above 35. Last two years were much chillier.)

My Azoychka's for 2009 are small seedlings about 2" tall, about 2 weeks or so old. Seeds came from Victory Seeds.

Bookmark   January 13, 2009 at 8:54PM
More Discussions
Row Covers for Frost Protection on early tomatoes?
I'm in southeast Ohio and I'm wanting to plant tomatoes...
hockingapple
Is any one growing Delicious?
Is any one growing Delicious?
gridgardener
Black Pineapple Tomato (aka Ananas Noire): Verdict
Just picked my first black pineapple tomato and ate...
Edymnion
You people are a bad influence
I went and bought seeds for mortgage lifter, big beef...
carriehelene
Even when you do everything right
Started an entire flat of various tomato seeds: sterilized...
grow_life
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™