Best Late Mango

swrancherOctober 15, 2009

Any suggestions for a late season Mango variety in South Florida? I'm trying to extend Mango eating season as long as possible so the later bearing the better... I'm thinking of maybe a Lanceilla, Kent, or even Keitt but I'm open to others too. My curremt latest variety is Valencia Pride.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hmhausman(FL 10B)

All the mango varieities you mention are good. The latest of the ones you mention is Keitt. It is a reliable bearer and can have fruit on into the month of October in some years.....the animals and birds notwithstanding. The only ones that are available that you do not have listed are Beverly and Neelum. Neelum is the latest of these. I am growing all of these and depending on your taste, if you want the latest season, go with Neelum or Keitt. Keitt is large and meaty, very sweet with no fiber...but the flavor is not complex. If you prefer a more complex flavor....go with Neelum....the fruits are about 1/2 or even 1/3 the size, but they are fiberless and sweet with a nice spicy flavor.

If you have the space, plant one of each, you won't be sorry. If not, and you want to try them before making a decision, perhaps you could stop by my house next summer to sample them. I think you are near me. I'd be happy to let you try them.

Bookmark   October 15, 2009 at 5:53PM
squam256

I've never had Neelum but I tried Beverly at the Spykes nursery in May and it had a very 'rich' flavor that I really enjoyed.

Bookmark   October 15, 2009 at 9:05PM
swrancher

hmhausman - Thanks for the advice, I think I'm going to plant both a Neelum and a Keitt tree. Tasting them next summer sounds fantasic and would be greatly appreciated. I think we are located pretty close to each other I'm just a few blocks east of the Rare Fruit and Vegtable Club Garden off Griffin Road in SW Ranches.

Bookmark   October 18, 2009 at 11:06AM
hmhausman(FL 10B)

SWRancher.....no problem. You aren't far. I am off of 136the Avenue by Western High School. I'd be happy to have you stop by.

Bookmark   October 18, 2009 at 4:54PM
j-grow

you will be very happy with the flavor of the neelum.

Bookmark   October 19, 2009 at 3:03PM
murahilin(10 fl)

hmhausman,
You're pretty near me. I'm right at 595 and Hiatus.

Bookmark   October 19, 2009 at 9:23PM
hmhausman(FL 10B)

Murahilin:
Can't get much closer....ok, you and SWRancher are invited to the first annual Garden Web Tropical Fruit Forum Mango tasting this coming season.....Date and Time To Be Announced.

Bookmark   October 19, 2009 at 9:45PM
puglvr1(9b central FL)

Hmhausman, Please post in the summer when you will be selling Mangoes...I live appx. 3 hours north(central)from you... I would absolutely love to stop by and see all of your mango trees and buy some..."if" its okay?

Bookmark   October 20, 2009 at 12:00PM
hmhausman(FL 10B)

puglvr1:
I'd be more than happy to let you know.....come on down...the more the merrier.

Bookmark   October 20, 2009 at 1:27PM
juliemango

Me too! Me too!. I am in Pembroke Pines so not that far away.

Bookmark   October 20, 2009 at 5:37PM
hmhausman(FL 10B)

You're also more than welcome Juliemango....although, if you are in Pembroke Pines during the lunch hour, you might be better off stopping by my office as we have a daily tasting there during mango season and my office is in Pembroke Pines. Either way, I am always happy to share the fun of tasting mangos, lychees, jakfruit or whatever else maybe ripe. To be honest, I get as much enjoyment out of seeing others really loving the fruit I have grown as I do in eating it myself.

Bookmark   October 20, 2009 at 6:07PM
murahilin(10 fl)

Sounds like a plan.

Bookmark   October 20, 2009 at 9:31PM
puglvr1(9b central FL)

Thanks so much...looking forward to it :o)

Bookmark   October 21, 2009 at 10:08AM
trini1trini

Hmhausman, please put my name on the invite list. I am a Davie-ite too. I have about 12 varieties of mango and can bring some. It'll be nice to meet you all.
:)

Bookmark   October 22, 2009 at 7:31PM
hmhausman(FL 10B)

Trini1:
You are more than welcome, especially as a fellow Davie-ite.

Bookmark   October 22, 2009 at 9:13PM
swrancher

Hmhausman, Thank you for the invite.

I'm looking forward to meeting everyone and tasting some new varieties of Mango...Hopefully I'll have some fruit from my trees to share as well.

Bookmark   October 24, 2009 at 7:57PM
britlexliv

Hi,
I am looking for some turpentine seeds for root stock. Do you know where I can find some? Is it posible to obtain one or two of your neelum scions for grafting?

Bookmark   June 13, 2011 at 4:42AM
mango_kush

you dont have to necessarily use turpentine as rootsock, find yourself the stringiest most turpentine tasting wild mango and its seed will make good rootstock that is more resistant to root nematodes.

old thread but for reference Gold Nugget was the last mango of the season last year at Pine Island and tasted similar to a haden or glenn

Bookmark   June 13, 2011 at 7:19AM
More Discussions
Lara Farms Nursery??
Anyone familiar with this Florida nursery that can...
ohiojay
Edible Banana for Zone 9
Question- What edible banana (Musa) will work best...
Man-Go-Bananas
Lychee like grapes
I just sat down reading some of the forum posts with...
zone10aridgardener
Lychee web worms attack!
I have been greatly saddened to see my Brewster lychee...
bananafan2
Maridol Papaya with large fruit growing in Hayward/SF bay area.
Grows On You.com has a photo posted by "Delonix" of...
stanofh
Sponsored Products
Safavieh Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Safavieh Rugs Dhurries Grey / Ivory 4 ft. x 6
Home Depot
Educational Insights Super Sleuth Vocabulary Game - EI-2937
$23.99 | Hayneedle
Baxton Studio Marisse Plastic Modern Dining Chairs (Set of 2)
Overstock.com
Calphalon Contemporary Nonstick 8-Piece Cookware Set - 1876784
$299.99 | Hayneedle
Green 500-Thread Count Best Fit Sheet Set
$39.99 | zulily
Greenington | Orchid Wine Cabinet
YLiving.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™