Help with neglected Dragonfruit

mbrowne(9b Central CA)October 15, 2012

I'm about to plant a badly neglected Halley's Comet, and would appreciate any info on what is wrong with it and if it should get any special care to fix it. Here are a few shots:

Thanks for any help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
steve_in_los_osos

The plant looks a little sun-burned to me. Although these are cacti, they don't like blistering sun. In Central CA you might need to provide a little protection from the hottest summer sun (not to mention the cold winter).

Bookmark   October 16, 2012 at 7:00PM
newgen(9 Central California)

The red dots are most likely sunburn. Most likely your DF is weak because it's in a pot. Plant it in the ground, and it will be much stronger. I'm in Bakersfield, and none of my DF are protected. They get some sun spots, but they survive fine in the hot and cold months. What part of central CA are you located?

Bookmark   October 19, 2012 at 1:41AM
mbrowne(9b Central CA)

Thanks for the repllies. I've got it in the ground now, with an untreated stake for support. We'll see if it starts to look better... I guess it can take a bit more water than a desert cactus? I'm in Fresno, and as you know Winter is rainy season. I shouldn't have to worry about frost or cold temps.

Bookmark   October 21, 2012 at 12:15PM

Rain is fine, as long as the water drains away.

Bookmark   October 21, 2012 at 7:27PM
nikitas_10a

newgen, do you get temperatures below freezing in your garden? I want to plant dragonfruit in my garden here in Greece and we do get down to 28 degrees a few times every winter. From your experience do you think pitayas will be able to survive this kind of cold weather?

Thanks in advance,
Nik

Bookmark   October 24, 2012 at 5:05PM

Nik,

I haven't any day when it's 28. There were maybe a few hours, very rare though, of 30. I believe that if the plant is in ground, with strong root system, it will survive. It will not survive if it's young, or in a container.

Bookmark   October 25, 2012 at 12:52AM
nikitas_10a

Thanks for the info and the advice newgen.

Nik

Bookmark   October 25, 2012 at 2:46PM
steve_in_los_osos

Wow! I'm sure I never dreamed of "Corfu" and "28" in the same sentence!

A little overhead protection might go a long way to fending off the cold--planting against the south side of a house, under eaves, etc. Lacking that, a blanket for the chilly nights!

Bookmark   October 25, 2012 at 6:38PM
nikitas_10a

Steve, I'll probably end up doing what you suggest but in a couple of years, when my plants are big and strong. Now they are in their 'infancy' and I'll keep them in my protected balcony. However, when they grow up they will be difficult to keep them in because they are thorny; that's when I'll move the plants in a south-facing wall in my garden, keep them potted, and try to cover them in the coldest winter nights. It might work...

Bookmark   October 30, 2012 at 4:06PM
More Discussions
What would be the best fruits to grow in a mini jungle
Hi, I'm working on a small jungle area, and at...
giantgunnera
Need help with mango tree
I have a tree and was wondering if in the future it...
lindalepark2006713
source for uncommon lychee trees
Anyone know of a nursery that will ship. looking for...
lycheeluva
Cool climate Mango flowering.
Notice the flower structure seems very compact? Rootstalk...
stanofh
Do you have a Soursop that is producing fruit for you?
I purchased a Soursop back in 2009 and it has always...
bananafan
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™