pinneapple guava or strawberry guava?

tastyOctober 21, 2009

Hi, I was thinking of purchising (sorry about the bad spelling)either a pineapple guava or a strawberry guava.What I would like to know is which one tastes better grows better in containers and slower, and shorter and has less seeds.

thanks

tasty

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hmhausman(FL 10B)

My vote would be pineapple gauva....Feijoa sellowiana. We have a problem with fruit flies growing strawberry guavas outside here in South Florida. In any case, the pineapple guava is a smaller tree. I have grown both.....I yanked the strawberry guava and am still growing the pinapple guava although it has yet to fruit. I have bought the fruit in the store, though. I enjoyed eating it.

Bookmark   October 21, 2009 at 5:58PM
puglvr1(9b central FL)

I second Pineapple Guava...I've had mine for three years, next month...It flowered for the first time 6 months after I bought it. This is the first year I have "one" fruit,LOL... Personally I prefer the taste of PG. PG can also take temps 15° with little or no damage according to my Ortho Citrus book...Luckily I've not had to test that temp. and hope I never have to,lol...We had a very bad "freeze" here this winter that almost killed all my Mango and Lychee trees, yet my PG had NO damage at all. But you live in zone 3...so you will have to bring yours inside for several months...

Oh, I've also read that you need to have two of them to cross pollinate each other. I also have a Bush PG planted about 8-10 Ft away. Unless there is a variety out there that is self pollinating that I'm not aware of? Good luck!
Here's my Pineapple Guava tree...

Pineapple Guava Bush...

Bookmark   October 21, 2009 at 6:51PM
hmhausman(FL 10B)

And the blooms are edible on the pineapple guava! Pretty tasty.

Bookmark   October 21, 2009 at 6:57PM
tasty

the problem is I don't have room for two trees since I'm getting many more citrus and magos and such so whcih one was self pollinating?

Bookmark   October 21, 2009 at 7:03PM
hmhausman(FL 10B)

There are apparently self fertile cultivars. Check out the CRFG article on this

Here is a link that might be useful: FEIJOA/PINEAPPLE GUAVA

Bookmark   October 21, 2009 at 7:35PM
More Discussions
Rehabilitated Mango
Hello; this is a mango that has been in our yard for...
BahamaDan ZTropic
Do you have a Soursop that is producing fruit for you?
I purchased a Soursop back in 2009 and it has always...
bananafan
What would be the best fruits to grow in a mini jungle
Hi, I'm working on a small jungle area, and at...
giantgunnera
The Freeze in Central Florida!
The most top branches, the last 3 inches or so suffered...
seagel
Need help/advice on dwarf tropical trees
Hello everyone! So I live in WI and am trying to pull...
sjpickart
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™