Suggestions for very tallk blank wall

jdkt18(6/7)May 1, 2006

Hi! We're increasing the garden area, AGAIN! LOL! Anyway It's along the side of my garage. Very tall, very blank wall. The garden is only 7 feet wide so what do you all suggest I plant to give me height but not width.

Thanx Joan

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
meldy_nva(z6b VA)

What is your planting zone? That can make a big difference as to which plant/s would be suitable.

Climbing vines interspersed with some columnar evergreens? Put some curve/s into the front edge of the bed for visual interest. 7' wide is enough space to have a bird bath and/or feeders; or a small arbor (maybe with a grape vine growing over the top?) with a comfortable seat and a few pretty pavers to keep your shoes clean even when all else is muddy. Clematis suitable for many zones, comes in a good choice of colors and heights, different varieties bloom at different times of the season, and it is comparatively trouble free - but be sure to label *securely* as to which pruning group each plant requires (says one who lost several labels and now has no idea which red clematis prefers fall pruning and which prefers a severe winter clip).

Bookmark   May 2, 2006 at 1:58PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
meanderingfrogg

I have to suggest the moonflower vine. When I grew it on a trellis at the front of my house it went crazy. The vines went up the twine I hung the trellis with and then started up the roof. The blooms are huge too on the moonflower. I suggest any vine from the morning glory family

Bookmark   May 4, 2006 at 11:52AM
More Discussions
Wanted: Gardeners with vision
Hello, I am writing a book about the gardens I am doing...
flowercutter
Covering a Pergola with vines. Which ones?
I have a pergola here in Virginia. Right on the Newport...
virginia_mike
Starting My 2015 Garden
I planted some seeds inside my basement in December....
charlieboring
New home for any unwanted winter holiday plants
I'm interested in any of the holiday plants used for...
dhd47
Jujube Cuttings
For any jujube growers in the northern VA area, I have...
charlieboring
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™