Suggestions for very tallk blank wall

jdkt18(6/7)May 1, 2006

Hi! We're increasing the garden area, AGAIN! LOL! Anyway It's along the side of my garage. Very tall, very blank wall. The garden is only 7 feet wide so what do you all suggest I plant to give me height but not width.

Thanx Joan

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
meldy_nva(z6b VA)

What is your planting zone? That can make a big difference as to which plant/s would be suitable.

Climbing vines interspersed with some columnar evergreens? Put some curve/s into the front edge of the bed for visual interest. 7' wide is enough space to have a bird bath and/or feeders; or a small arbor (maybe with a grape vine growing over the top?) with a comfortable seat and a few pretty pavers to keep your shoes clean even when all else is muddy. Clematis suitable for many zones, comes in a good choice of colors and heights, different varieties bloom at different times of the season, and it is comparatively trouble free - but be sure to label *securely* as to which pruning group each plant requires (says one who lost several labels and now has no idea which red clematis prefers fall pruning and which prefers a severe winter clip).

Bookmark   May 2, 2006 at 1:58PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
meanderingfrogg

I have to suggest the moonflower vine. When I grew it on a trellis at the front of my house it went crazy. The vines went up the twine I hung the trellis with and then started up the roof. The blooms are huge too on the moonflower. I suggest any vine from the morning glory family

Bookmark   May 4, 2006 at 11:52AM
More Discussions
Paw Paw and Gojiberry Seedlings
I have a couple of paw paw seedlings and two gojiberry...
charlieboring
Planting Garlic in Northern VA
Friday, 10/17/2014, I prepared a new area and expanded...
charlieboring
Fuyu in Northern VA
My fuyu persimmon tree shown in the picture had a great...
charlieboring
Nursery Recommendations for Northern Virginia (near Alexandria)
Hi all, I'm taking on a landscaping project for my...
peren_awkward
When is it time to start planting lettuce and endive?
I'm in the NOVA area of VA and wanted to know when...
dhd47
Sponsored Products
Schonbek Trilliane Collection 12-Light Crystal Chandelier
Lamps Plus
Area Rug: Ambler Merlot 8' x 10'
Home Depot
Tommy Bahama by Lexington Home Brands Beach House Coral Springs Golden Umber Woo
$579.00 | Hayneedle
Round 14" Copper
PLFixtures
Varaluz | The Whole Package 3 Light Chandelier
$349.00 | YLighting
Fruit Stripe Pillow Cover
$29.99 | Dot & Bo
David Bromstad "Flowers in a Jar" Artwork V
Grandin Road
Florence Style Loft Wool Sofa in Red Tweed
$899.00 | LexMod
People viewed this after searching for: