Free Cherimoya tree

fredsbogOctober 13, 2010

Hi all, I have a nice Cherimoya tree about 3 foot tall that I grew from a seed from an exceptionally nice fruit I got at the local grocer. the tree is nice but I have no idea what to do with it. I cannot grow it to maturity here in Cleveland, and I need the room for other things in the greenhouse (which was too cold for the tree's liking last winter). So here is the deal.

I will send this plant to anyone in the continental U.S. all I ask is that you cover the cost of shipping, and that there are no restrictions on this species going to your locale. I'll box it up nicely and ship it in pot (2 gallon).

There are a bunch for sale on ebay but that's too much of a hassle. It's yours for shipping, otherwise it will be left out to freeze this winter. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
w9yards

Just looking to buy one! I would be interested!

Bookmark   October 13, 2010 at 8:28PM
cocobananas

damn. right after buying two on ebay.

...and the good lord said: you shall overpay for your cherimoyas, and lo, I did.

Bookmark   October 13, 2010 at 9:13PM
Andrew Scott

Hello Coco,
LMAO...yikes! I saw those prices but was able to pick up two for less than $80.00 and they are both nice trees. One of them is actually a double grafted tree.
Andrew

Bookmark   October 14, 2010 at 2:26PM
marinfla(10 South Florida)

Fredsbog,
How long did it take from the time you germinated the seed for it get 3 feet tall? I took 7 seeds I took from a fruit purchased at a local store.... I soaked them for 48 hours then put them in soil. I decided to put each seed in it's own individual cup and when I did I found every single seed has a tap root emerging. I am looking forward to you sharing your experience with your how long your seedling took to progress along the way to how tall it is now so I can know what to expect!!! Thanks.

Bookmark   October 15, 2010 at 4:49PM
rodneys

marinfla, in SoCal, it takes about a year for seedlings to grow to around 3 feet tall, at least with what I have experienced for myself.

Bookmark   October 15, 2010 at 5:47PM
Andrew Scott

I have a sedling that I started last year that is now a little over a foot tall. I know it would have grown larger but I need to move it up a pot size first. They do grow very fast.
Andrew

Bookmark   October 15, 2010 at 11:26PM
trianglejohn

I sowed seed in mid summer and the seedlings stayed pretty small through the first winter. In their second year they shot up to 3 feet, and now at the end of that year they look like they might be starting to branch.

Bookmark   October 16, 2010 at 11:19AM
jfernandez(10B)

In Socal cherimoyas grow like weed. You can get a grafted tree 4-5' tall for $20 in San Diego. Atemoya are less hardy but about the same price for a seedling - grafted go for about $30-35. Sugar Apples are a different story, although they thrive and fruit in our climate the fruit tends to fossilize by the time they mature because of the cold nights. You have to cover them with newspaper to protect them from the cold nights.

Bookmark   October 19, 2010 at 11:37AM
esco_socal

Hey Joe, where can I find these $20 atemoyas?

Tim

Bookmark   October 20, 2010 at 3:14AM
jfernandez(10B)

Tim,

They were $20 at Atkins Nursery last March. I bought my grafted African Pride at California tropical fruit trees in Vista, for $35. They have grafted Atemoya for $35 in GreenMart and Minosa Nursery in East LA.

Bookmark   October 20, 2010 at 9:26PM
musaboru(Inland Calif.)

Does Mimosa have named varieties of Cherimoyas also?

Bookmark   October 21, 2010 at 11:33PM
jacob13

YES,

Mimosa Nursery Does have Named Varieties of Cherimoyas. I was there about 2 Months ago and they had them.

Bookmark   October 22, 2010 at 3:57PM
More Discussions
Cool climate Mango flowering.
Notice the flower structure seems very compact? Rootstalk...
stanofh
emperor lychee arrived, white new leaves???
I just got my emperor lychee today from plant o gram....
Jesse Machuca-Vega
My Pitaya (Dragon Fruit) in SoCal
Here was my Dragon Fruit plants in Pots back in May....
enocchen
Ackee Tree Question
I planted my Ackee tree three years ago when it was...
swrancher
Lara Farms Nursery??
Anyone familiar with this Florida nursery that can...
ohiojay
Sponsored Products
Hello Kitty Present Ornament
$6.99 | zulily
Ardmore 31 1/2" High Outdoor Wall Light
Lamps Plus
Simon Pearce | Emerson Wide Pendant Light
$475.00 | YLighting
Entryways Douglas Exotic Wood Mat - Black - E3010
$59.99 | Hayneedle
Hand-carved Palm Trees Storage Cabinet/ End Table
Overstock.com
Fabric Verticals. Free Samples and Shipping!
Blinds.com
5 Lights Sparkling K9 Crystal Shade LED Wall Mirror Lights
ParrotUncle
Ruvati RVF1228ST Modern Pullout Kitchen Faucet In Stainless Steel
$168.00 | Blue Bath
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™