Wild Grapes?

theflowermanMay 13, 2012

I have discovered that I have what appears to be a wild grape plant mixed in and among some multi flora rose and honeysuckle. I would like to attempt to rescue this plant and use the grapes produced. Were I to cut the plant back would it recover? How far back to cut it? When to cut it back? Advice? I also want to keep the other "weeds" as they not only look nice but they also screen out the neighbors view of my yard.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
adidas(6/7)

If this is the grapevine that is growing all over my woodland, believe me, a little cutting will actually make it GROW!! You cannot "harm" grapevine! The only problem w/keeping grapes and other invasive weeds is that they produce suckers and/or lots of seeds and they can become difficult if not impossible to control!

Bookmark   May 24, 2012 at 9:14AM
lucky_p

flowerman
I can't comment on wild grape species common in VA - but have you seen the grapes this vine produces?
A significant percentage of many volunteer muscadine grape seedlings are nonfruiting males - not sure if that is the case for other grape species.
Additionally, not all 'wild' grapes are going to be an exceptional eating experience; other than an occasional native muscadine, most fruiting wild grapes I've encountered in KY/TN/MO are tiny little exceedingly tart things, and no amount of fertilization or pampering will push them beyond their genetic potential.
Just food for thought...

Bookmark   February 21, 2013 at 9:40PM
charlieboring

You might consider grafting your favorie grape onto the wild vine. Should do well

Bookmark   February 27, 2013 at 8:30AM
More Discussions
Pomegranates This Winter
I'm wondering if there are any particular strategies...
drmbear
Where in Virgina should we move to? Please help.
I know this is a bit of an oddball topic, but I'm a...
pequafrog
Paw Paw and Gojiberry Seedlings
I have a couple of paw paw seedlings and two gojiberry...
charlieboring
New home for any unwanted winter holiday plants
I'm interested in any of the holiday plants used for...
dhd47
Starting My 2015 Garden
I planted some seeds inside my basement in December....
charlieboring
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™