Where near Winchester are the heirlooms?

hankg_gwMay 24, 2009

Yep, need to get them and plant them. Tomatoes, that is. I have already planted a bunch of commercial type hybrids for the PYO patch, but most of the really neat seedlings became squirrel food. I hope to take something to the MAG tomato tasting this August. So, if you have any nursery you like within 50 miles of my home town, please advise. Thankyou much,

Hank

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hankg_gw

Not to worry, I found bunches. E-mail me if you're interested in going to the MAG tomato tasting. Hank

Bookmark   May 27, 2009 at 7:25AM
winchesterva(6)

I have only been growing tomatoes the past two years (lived in Winchester for 4 years) and have never found any nursery in Winchester that sells heirlooms, so this year I order seeds and grew my own.

Bookmark   May 28, 2009 at 7:52AM
vlygrl(z6 VA)

Mac's Greenhouse in Woodstock always has lots of heirloom tomato plants. Kim's Greenhouse in Broadway (on Route 11 south of New Market) had heirloom tomato plants last year.

You might, though, want to head out to Herndon to DeBaggio Herbs - they carry lots and lots of heirlooms.

Next year, you might want to check the Northern Virginia Daily's classifieds. I've seen people in there advertising that they had heirloom tomato plants.

Bookmark   June 13, 2009 at 7:54AM
hankg_gw

Thankyou very much vlygrl. I will keep your suggestions somewhere safe for next year. I got some plants from Gabalot in Strasburg and a bunch from the plant sale at the Arboretum at Blandy. I just may head out to Herndon today. Have you or anyone considered going to the MAGTAG tomato tasting this coming August? Hank

Bookmark   June 14, 2009 at 9:08AM
bobbic(7)

I got a bunch of heirloom plants from Keith Kendall at the Sunday Farmer's Market in Locust Grove, on Route 20. My red grape tomato plant seems to be on steroids! :D I've started five different branches off it and they're all growing great guns too.

Bookmark   June 17, 2009 at 2:26PM
vlygrl(z6 VA)

I just sent you an email, Hank. I hope you receive it. Did you get to DiBaggios? I love that place. In addition to the tomato plants, they have more kinds of basil plants than I've ever seen anywhere and their herb plant selection is terrific.

I've gotten wonderful plants from DiBaggios and Mac's but I have to say Kim's Greenhouse has the best plants I've found anywhere. Not just tomatoes but all of their vegetables, annuals and perennials are very lush and healthy.

Bookmark   June 17, 2009 at 3:09PM
rdback(Z6 VA)

Probably a little late for this year, but you might want to check out Deauville Farms in Bayse. It seems Gail has a little bit of everything you might want or need, and then some LOL. In the Spring, she has tons of heirlooms to offer. Anyway, her place is definitely unique, and Gail is absolutely delightful. A nice setting and a great place to take the kids as well.

Rick

Here is a link that might be useful: Gail Rose - Deauville Fallow Deer Farm - Basye, VA

Bookmark   July 15, 2009 at 1:19PM
hankg_gw

Thanks Rick. This sounds like a an interesting place to visit. My wife and I often go on nursery trips for a day. We run in to the nicest people and plants. Basye is not too far away. Hank

Bookmark   July 15, 2009 at 8:52PM
More Discussions
New to Virginia - Vegtable Theif
I am new to Virginia, Fort Eustis to be precise. And...
armywifecw
Fuyu in Northern VA
My fuyu persimmon tree shown in the picture had a great...
charlieboring
Fuyu Persimmon Tree in Norhtern VA
My Fuyu persimmon tree had its best year ever in 2014....
charlieboring
Market for Worm Castings
Hi Everyone: I'm brand new so please forgive my na�vet�. My...
AutumnsEnd
Blueberries in fredericksburg
I'm looking to plant bb in the burg. Have prepped the...
gastone21
Sponsored Products
Greek Key Bronze Swing Arm Floor Lamp
Lamps Plus
Salsbury Industries Lockers 22000 Series 2-Tier Wood Extra Wide Designer Locker
Home Depot
Olive Branch Mini Frame
$49.00 | Horchow
Campania International Hummingbird Cast Stone Planter - P-626-AL
$144.99 | Hayneedle
Eglo Rottelo Chrome - Nickel Six-Light Track Fixture
Lamps Plus