Watering

nipnlapMay 14, 2011

I'm pretty new to gardening. My husband just installed an underground sprinkler system with a timer. We have tomatoes, peppers, and squash. How often do we water and at what time of day? We live in Winchester, va. Northwest corner of Virginia. Last year we had end rot on our tomatoes and we really want to avoid that this year. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hokierustywilliamsbu

water as needed and apply some calicum to help prevent end rot but beaware that temps also play a part here......

Bookmark   May 15, 2011 at 3:27PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardener_sandy

Most vegetables need from 1 to 1.5 inches of rain a week to grow well. If it doesn't rain, water slowly until the soil is moist at least 6 inches deep. Cooler weather means the soil moisture lasts longer and watering may not be needed as often. Hot weather later in the summer means you will need to monitor the moisture level more closely.

If you use a sprinkler, watering in the morning is preferred since it gives time for the moisture to dry off the leaves more quickly. Watering late in the day means the leaves will be damp for a longer period of time, which gives disease organisms a longer time to invade the tissues.

Keeping the soil moisture level fairly even helps prevent blossom end rot (BER) but it won't prevent it entirely. Plants can't take up the nutrients from dry soil, but as the previous poster mentioned, temperature plays a role also. A soil test will tell you if you need to add calcium. Usually the first tomatoes of the season are prone to BER but the situation improves when soil temperatures even out a bit later in the season. There are a number of sprays available that claim to prevent BER. I haven't seen any research saying whether they work or not.

Good luck with your garden.
Sandy

Bookmark   May 21, 2011 at 9:34PM
More Discussions
Blueberries in fredericksburg
I'm looking to plant bb in the burg. Have prepped the...
gastone21
Wanted: Gardeners with vision
Hello, I am writing a book about the gardens I am doing...
flowercutter
Fuyu Persimmon Tree in Norhtern VA
My Fuyu persimmon tree had its best year ever in 2014....
charlieboring
vermicomposting (worm composting)
Has anyone in Northern VA tried to compost using re...
charlieboring
New home for any unwanted winter holiday plants
I'm interested in any of the holiday plants used for...
dhd47
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™