How to eliminate poison oak and sumac from my hedges?

spellcaster(7)May 15, 2007

Any one out there know how to eliminate poison oak and sumac from my hedges?I am highly allergic to both but not to poison ivy.I can not even go near the oak or sumac.Any suggestions? please help if you can! Thanks so much!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gaitten(6a)

It would be helpful to know what kind of hedges you're dealing with. With many hedging shrubs (e.g. privet, even boxwoods) would tolerate, perhaps even be rejuvenated by hard pruning. You could cut the hedges back almost to the ground and then spray the poison oak and poison ivy with glyphosate (Roundup) or a brush killer (my recommendation).

I did this successfully with a hedge of privet, and then decided later in the season I hated the privet anyhow and removed the hedge altogether.

If you have a mature hedge of English boxwood or something that you don't want to risk hacking up, you're pretty much looking at doing it the hard way... pulling it all out by hand. No matter how good a job you do, you'll have some survive and come up again later in the season or next year.

I am not sensitive to poison oak, ivy or sumac (would love to give you a hand)... I can do this type of work with no more protection than gloves (and small jobs I do barehanded).

This might be one of those annoying occasions where it would be worthwhile to pay someone to take on this task. Your neighborhood lawn service would probably take on a small job like this for a reasonable fee.

Let us know what you decide and how it works out.

;) -S

Bookmark   May 15, 2007 at 11:01PM
More Discussions
New home for any unwanted winter holiday plants
I'm interested in any of the holiday plants used for...
dhd47
Blueberries in fredericksburg
I'm looking to plant bb in the burg. Have prepped the...
gastone21
Market for Worm Castings
Hi Everyone: I'm brand new so please forgive my na�vet�. My...
AutumnsEnd
Hard Water for Container Plants
I have a few citrus plants/trees and pomegranates I...
WrittenOnWater
Jujube Cuttings
For any jujube growers in the northern VA area, I have...
charlieboring
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™