Looking for a stinky, (relatively) fast growing boxwood

lceh(7)May 4, 2007

I grew up in VA and I love that stinky boxwood smell, especially on a rainy day -- it reminds me of garden tours on old estates and other pleasant memories. However, I am an impatient gardener as well as a nostalgic one, and I don't want to plant a boxwood that won't be a decent size until I am an elderly lady. Is there a variety that has that distinctive smell, and grows relatively quickly? I don't have the considerable $$ it takes to buy a very large boxwood. Also, what's the critical number of shrubs it would take to have that aroma on a rainy morning? Will one do it, or do I need to have several in my shady/partially shady front yard?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
shadygrove(z7 VA)

Great question. I understand completely. I'm very dissatisfied by the aroma-lessness of the newer cultivars. I just decided to go with the plain ole sempervirens, in spite of winter bronzing, box die-back disease, blah, blah, blah just to be sure of the smell. Its not really as slow a grower as folk would tout, but then, nothing is.

I'd love to know the results of your nasal search. One thought is that you may wish to post your question on the Shrubs forum.

Bookmark   May 6, 2007 at 9:28AM
More Discussions
Planting Garlic in Northern VA
Friday, 10/17/2014, I prepared a new area and expanded...
charlieboring
When is it time to start planting lettuce and endive?
I'm in the NOVA area of VA and wanted to know when...
dhd47
vermicomposting (worm composting)
Has anyone in Northern VA tried to compost using re...
charlieboring
new to Hampton Roads
Hello out there, I left my gardens in Ohio for a new...
abbiejan64
Covering a Pergola with vines. Which ones?
I have a pergola here in Virginia. Right on the Newport...
virginia_mike
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™