The dry creek bed - One year later

lucas_tx_gwAugust 26, 2013

If you search the gallery for dry creek bed, you can see two sets of pics from last year.

Even though this is the worst time of year, the creek still looks pretty darn good (if I do say so myself :-). I've been doing some remodeling this summer so not a lot of posting here, but decided to take some pics and share.

For perspective (I'm going to have to move the lonely little Mexican buckeye in the front yard this fall, I moved some other stuff and now he's lonely)

East end (left side when looking at the porch). There are also two small bamboo muhlies at the end of the creek but they are hidden behind the switch grasses. Lindheimer's muhly and Senna corymbosa to the left.

Berm is seeded in habiturf which is taking off well. Right now we do water it about once a week (our one legal day to water). That's why it's green and the surrounding little blue stem is not.

The west end (right side of the house) from the driveway. That's a Salvia darcyi, a Salvia chamaedryoides, Souvenir de la Malmaison who is between blooms at the moment and some volunteer one seed croton around the pot. In the pot is a Buck rose Wild Ginger, also not blooming at the moment. Across the creek are some seep muhlies and the rose Valentine (thanks Roselee for suggesting her, she's been great!).

The same area from a little closer to the house. Lanceleaf coreopsis in the foreground and Nacogdoches still blooming like a champ.

Mid-creek. Valentine surrounded by the seep muhlies, flame acanthus and fall aster in the background.

In case you don't feel like looking up the old threads

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
southofsa

I love progress/update pics! It really helps me understand how beds evolve and mature. I do remember the original post mostly because I think it was triple digits here when you did it and I was really impressed with the what you did to make it happen - hard labor to go with the vision.

It looks really good! Great choices. Thanks for posting.

Lisa

Bookmark   August 27, 2013 at 6:49AM
PKponder TX(7b)

Wow, it's come a long way in only a year! Looks great!

Bookmark   August 27, 2013 at 7:17AM
carrie751(z7/8 TX)

Looking good there, Lucas.... now you can enjoy the fruits of all that hard labor

Bookmark   August 27, 2013 at 8:44AM
roselee z8b S.W. Texas

I love updates on makeovers. Your vision has come together beautifully! It seems the plants you've wisely chosen have filled in particularly fast.

Now it would be nice if we had some rain and could see some water running through it, right? Have your camera ready. It's bound to happen sooner or later ... :-)

Bookmark   August 27, 2013 at 10:26AM
plantmaven(8b/9a TX)

It looks great. Well done.

k

Bookmark   August 27, 2013 at 3:10PM
lucas_tx_gw

Oh I guess you mean like this? (notice Santa's runway there in the front yard, this was not recent ;-)

You can also see in this why we need the berm. Since this was taken, we've also routed the downspouts underground into the creek, so we don't get all the water on the house side.

So in short, it does work as designed.

Bookmark   August 27, 2013 at 10:46PM
marti8a

It looks good, and best of all, it works! Do you have trouble keeping your salvia greggii alive with once a week watering? I have found that they aren't as drought tolerant as I thought they would be.

Bookmark   August 30, 2013 at 10:29AM
lucas_tx_gw

I don't have good luck with greggii either. That red one in the pics is darcyi, which is doing great with water just once a week when watering the new grass.

I actually bought one from Flowers by the Sea to have in a pot and they are fairly brittle. That one on the berm is actually a piece I broke off and rooted and it's done that well from starting as a cutting this spring. I've never grown it before but it seems to do great in DFW. I amended that berm with some compost before I planted but that's it, aside from that it's nice black gumbo clay.

Really hoping it overwinters but even if it doesn't I'll get another next spring.

Bookmark   August 30, 2013 at 8:23PM
cynthianovak

Love it! thank you for posting this year's update

Bookmark   September 2, 2013 at 11:40PM
More Discussions
Sedum suggestions or thoughts?
Please bear with a newbie dumb question. I bought Rainbow...
tejas_ruthie
Did anyone's firecracker plant come back in zone 8?
It is such a pretty plant and spreads so fast, I think...
marti8a
Thoughts on my grow list....
These guys are getting potted up the first time on...
reedbaizetex
Need Texas wisteria in Austin
Good morning! Does anyone know where I can find Texas...
atxhoolie
Scarlet's Peak Yaupon as Privacy Hedge?
Is anyone using this holly? Although relatively new,...
tamgirl99
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™