queen palm fruit

jesusislordOctober 15, 2006

Hi, does anybody know if the fruit of a queen palm is edible, or a good site that would give information on it. I just read about the acai berry , from a palm tree in South America, and just about a month ago was wanting to eat one of the berries that fell from my neighbors queen palm because they smelt so good! thanks for any responses

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Eggo(z10soCal LBC)

That's a good question and I don't know if the queen palm fruit is edible. They do smell good don't they, kind of like a jackfruit bubblegum smell to them. I did take a small tastes of one before, more of nibble and spit. Kind of sweet but even if its not toxic, I don't know how anyone could enjoy the fruit, its extremely fibrous.
I think there's several other options out there for fruit bearing palms other than the queen palm.

Bookmark   October 16, 2006 at 3:20AM
banyan(NZ z10)

Theyn are edible, but I have not yet found one that tastes any good. Possibly that is because I live in a cool summer area, where sugar levels don't go high enough. I have found that the fruit on the Canary Island Date Palm (phoenix canariensis) can taste moderately good in a hot dry sumer cliamte such as Perth Australia, but here are essentially inedible. True eating dates (Phoenix dactiflyfera) is a good choice if you live in a very hot summer area.

The most common palm for ediible fruits in a temperate climate is Butia capitata, which can also taste very good. Often not so good though, there is a huge variation in flavour. Parajubaea and Jubaea palms have miniature coconuts for seeds. Some Brahea species have nice fruit.

Accai is probably Euterpe edulis, which would grow well in your area. This one is in temperate Auckland, NZ.

Bookmark   October 16, 2006 at 2:52PM
jesusislord

Ok, thanks guys, that helped, i don't like watching all those seeds go to waste if there good for something. ha!

Bookmark   October 16, 2006 at 4:16PM
colleen_wagnerhouse_com

is there a way to AVOID getting ANY fruit on a queen palm? If I keep it in a pot and limit the growth to 12'-14' tall can I prevent fruit?

Bookmark   March 25, 2009 at 3:42PM
More Discussions
Prune MIstake on Guava Tree
I thought my guava tree was dead. It had grown about...
Valdo
Lychee web worms attack!
I have been greatly saddened to see my Brewster lychee...
bananafan2
Why Doesn't My Sapodilla Ripen?
My sapodilla tree has had a good crop of fist-sized...
billbrandi
Do any of you use grow light in winter time
I move all of my tropical fruits back in basement during...
ankur1016
I'm in heaven this fine morning!
Well fellow tropical fruit growers, I am in heaven...
msmorningsong
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™