Whats Eating my Cherry Tree?

richmonder(7)June 9, 2008

I planted a small flowering cherry in my backyard this spring, and I noticed yesterday that some unknown culprit is taking big round bites out of the leaves. The problem is, I can't see whats doing it. Could it be slugs? Japanese beetles? Both? Whats the best way to prevent this type of damage - I'm afraid that my very young tree can't stand up to this type of abuse for long!

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
virginiald(6-7)

Consulting my trusty Reader's Digest "Garden Problem Solver" I see that the only diagnosis they come up with for holes in cherry leaves is caterpillars. Slugs are unlikely in a tree, unless it's really small, and Japanese beetles you would spot easily, particularly early in the morning when they lie abed sluggishly amongst your leaves. However, there are all sorts of bugs that chew leaves. Flea beetles are frequent culprits on small plants. The question is, how ruthless do you want to be about getting rid of them? Gardens Alive has all kinds of organic bug killers and the book "Great Garden Formulas" has everything from hot pepper and garlic sprays to beer for slugs. Just remember that just because you find these ingredients in your refrigerator doesn't mean that they are benign to the helpful bugs that you want to keep around. Good luck! Gotta go, there's a thunderstorm about to burst overhead!

Bookmark   June 14, 2008 at 4:03PM
More Discussions
Pomegranates This Winter
I'm wondering if there are any particular strategies...
drmbear
Starting My 2015 Garden
I planted some seeds inside my basement in December....
charlieboring
Blueberries in fredericksburg
I'm looking to plant bb in the burg. Have prepped the...
gastone21
hardscaping-Fredericksburg
I just purchased a townhouse with a small, dreary back...
Hslibr
organic container gardening
I need sources nurseries for organic container garden...
laffanyway
Sponsored Products
Tree Reflections Wall Art
$239.00 | FRONTGATE
Lion-Head Wall Fountain
$1,375.00 | Horchow
Alberta Table Lamp - Red + Black Walnut - Caravan Pacific
$500.00 | HORNE
Fairmont Designs Newhaven 24" Vanity Hinge Left - Nutmeg
Modern Bathroom
Double Offset Bowl TruGranite Sink
MR Direct Sinks and Faucets