ID this Hummingbird?

briaustex 8bSeptember 15, 2013

Have a bunch of hummingbirds in my backyard and finally decided to get a few photos. Not certain what these guys are. My first thought was ruby throated, but these guys are a bit more colorful and closer to an orangish color. I'm in Austin if that helps. Any ideas?

Here is a link that might be useful:

This post was edited by briaustex on Sun, Sep 15, 13 at 15:10

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
briaustex 8b

Another image of a second hummingbird.

Edit: after looking at identification guides, I'm guessing this guy is a ruby-throated hummingbird. Still not certain about the first photo above. Never seen one with yellow throat markings before.

Here is a link that might be useful:

This post was edited by briaustex on Sun, Sep 15, 13 at 15:45

Bookmark   September 15, 2013 at 3:02PM
Lynn Marie

It sure is pretty, whatever it is!

Bookmark   September 16, 2013 at 8:32PM
linda_tx8(8)

Hummingbird ID can be very confusing during migration. I'm really not good at it. I know the Black-chinned because they're here during the mating season. The Ruby-throated is fairly common during migration here. And to a lesser extent, the Rufous, because they have started to be around some in winter. One thing I found about the iridescence was in a book, Hummingbirds of Texas:

Interference is the optical process that creates iridescence in hummingbirds, much as it does to a soap bubble or a slick of oil on water. Waves of light are often distorted, which can create a spectral rainbow of colors. For this reason, the gorget can appear to be different colors, depending on the angle of refraction (that is, a male Ruby-throated's gorget can appear topaz, red, or black just with a turn of the head.

I've got a pic where the gorget of one hummingbird appears to look kind of amber to me. Whatever kind of hummingbird this one is, it's gorgeous!

Bookmark   September 17, 2013 at 2:02AM
briaustex 8b

I know the Black-chinned well, since they are the first to visit in the spring (usually arrive around early to mid-March here) and the purple throat is easy to spot. I can't distinguish between the female Ruby-throat and Black-chinned, though.

All of the Black-chinned hummingbirds that were visiting my yard have migrated. I counted 5 at one point, and the yard was a constant buzz of angry hummingbird chatter as they chased each other away.

Thanks, Linda. I read that juvenile Ruby-throats can appear yellow/gold, too, which would suggest that they were both Ruby-throats. I've counted four of them at one time recently. I've watched three of them circle together in a standoff until one decides which of the others to chase--very humorous to watch.

Each year I've been adding more hummingbird friendly plants because I really enjoy watching their antics.

Bookmark   September 21, 2013 at 11:57AM
houstontexas123(z9a)

possibly juvenile RBT since its fall and they're migrating south.

http://www.rubythroat.org/RTHUExternalMain.html

Bookmark   September 22, 2013 at 3:05AM
More Discussions
Gomphrena globosa 'Fireworks' not an annual
Who else grows 'Fireworks' globe amaranth? It's listed...
briaustex 8b
Coral honeysuckle
Will this be easier to find in the next month or so,...
franksmom_2010
HAVE: Ft Worth Spring Swap Trinity Park April 18
Okay, I know it's still January. technically. But the...
sylviatexas1
WANTED: San Antonio Plant Swap
Mark your calendars: Sat., April 18, 9 am, Rogiers...
loreleicomal
Did anyone's firecracker plant come back in zone 8?
It is such a pretty plant and spreads so fast, I think...
marti8a
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™