Top 10 Avocado Varieties: Opinions Welcome

cocobananasOctober 4, 2010

I'm looking to buy several avocado trees for greenhouse growing. As I'm a northerner, I don't have much tasting experience beyond haas. I'd like to buy several varieties, and would love to hear from any of you with experience in both tasting and growing.

What are your top ten avocado varieties?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nullzero(9)

Given that you are greenhouse growing, I would recommend dwarf varieties like Holiday.

Bookmark   October 4, 2010 at 10:19PM
zands(10b Fl)

1--- http://www.tropicalfruitnursery.com/avocado-viewer/index.htm
2--- For openers get a Hass. Those are the familiar ones from California used in guacamole. Hass is oily and greasy and full tasting but not all avocados are. They can actually be watery and bland
3--- Believe it or not some avocados are more cold resistant
4--- Dwarf variety? Any mango can be pruned small and perhaps the same with avocados

Here is a link that might be useful: avocado cultivars

Bookmark   October 4, 2010 at 11:54PM
mango_kush

little cado is supposed to be a dwarf variety, i prefer Mexican hass over the Caribbean varieties as well

Bookmark   October 5, 2010 at 8:52AM
red_sea_me

I have only tasted a few avo other than the normal CA ones (Mexicola, Hass) but at the Festival of Fruit a few years ago I tasted a Sharwill avo, it was incredible. We also had some softball sized avos in Puerto Rico that were excellent, dont know the variety though. A friend has been collecting lots cultivars of avos, when they all start producing it is going to be a tasters paradise.

-Ethan

Bookmark   October 5, 2010 at 8:22PM
cocobananas

Thanks for those.

Yeah, I'll definitely need to keep them pruned pretty tightly to keep them off the ceiling. So more than size, I'm interested in flavor.

I have become quite acquainted with the Pine Island cultivar viewer, and I appreciate their descriptions, but they're in the biz of selling avocados, so I'd prefer to hear it from avocado lovers directly. Knowwhatimean?

Bookmark   October 6, 2010 at 6:02PM
ashleysf(9 San Jose,CA)

check out these 2 videos about avocadoes from Dave Wilson nurseries. It is very informative. I have a Haas and a LittleCado. I do not have fruits on them yet, but these are the 2 varieties highly recommended to me by people in my area.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7z5ONrV67MY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXpH5Kpzxy8

Bookmark   October 6, 2010 at 7:26PM
cocobananas

Those are great videos. Super informative for me. Thanks Ashley!

Bookmark   October 8, 2010 at 11:13PM
caiden(HI, 11)

I also recommend sharwill as a delicious avocado; worlds better than the commercial 'haas' variety overgrown in CA. Reed is another really good tasting avocado, round with light green, smooth skin. For a big avocado with very rich taste, there is Butterpear. Good luck.

Bookmark   October 8, 2010 at 11:57PM
zands(10b Fl)

http://www.youtube.com/user/DaveWilsonTrees

Dave Wilson is very good with lots of educational youtube videos. His nursery is in Modesto California. His basic theme is to get a lot of different fruit trees, plant close together, prune and prune. Or get say 3-4 different apple trees. Whole idea is to get fruit for many months. Keep many smaller fruit trees instead of a few big ones. He gets to sell more trees too :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Dave Wilson- high density fruit trees for your back yard

Bookmark   October 9, 2010 at 8:05AM
More Discussions
What would be the best fruits to grow in a mini jungle
Hi, I'm working on a small jungle area, and at...
giantgunnera
Help ID this Papaya plant
Hi A friend gave me a seedling grown from a seed they...
eagleeyesg
Need help with mango tree
I have a tree and was wondering if in the future it...
lindalepark2006713
My Chikoo (Sapodilla) is flowering!
Hello everyone! I am glad to see how my young tree...
MohammadLawati
Avocado Help
Hello everyone, I recently started gardening as a hobbie....
Steelsax2015
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™