Blueberries in fredericksburg

gastone21June 22, 2014

I'm looking to plant bb in the burg. Have prepped the soil over the past year and va tech says I'm good to go. Just trying to figure which cultivars will produce the best here. Ideally we'd grow organically. Good production and best tasting (subjective I know) are the primary requirements.

I've tried emailing virginiaberryfarm and ediblelandscaping, but haven't heard back yet so i thought I'd try here.

Thanks in advance.

Garrett.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
drmbear

I drove over to Edible Landscaping from Fredericksburg earlier this spring to obtain some blueberries. I guess we'll see how they do over the next few years.

Bookmark   June 25, 2014 at 2:26PM
gastone21

I heard back from ediblelandscaping today. They said everything they have does well in va. Makes sense. Now to make the trip down.

Bookmark   June 25, 2014 at 9:14PM
drmbear

Most of my blueberry plants have grown and gotten stronger this summer. Although I ammended the soil with lots of ground up leaves, it seems that a couple of the plants may not have had it quite acid enough. I've added some sulfur, and hope that by next spring they'll be happy enough to grow even more. I can't yet decide whether I want to keep the area around the BBs covered in a thick layer of leaves, or whether I should go with a wood mulch (that is available for free here in Spotsylvania). I hope you had some luck - I hadn't waited on soil prep for over a year, just heavy mulching through last winter, so just hoped I could get them growing this summer. That they lived through it is a good sign to me. Now I'll help them really get going over the next couple of years. If the deer that keep coming into the neighborhood will leave them alone this winter, I think it will be okay.

Bookmark   September 3, 2014 at 1:14PM
charlieboring

Recommend you try Prime Arkansas Freedom, a thornless, large, everbearing type. They can be bought through amazon (Hirts Gardens). I bought one recently and it arrived in beautiful condition.

Bookmark   September 11, 2014 at 7:58AM
drmbear

Those are Blackberries - a far different thing than the Blueberries this discussion started about. I've got young blackberries also, and I'll be expecting some to actually eat this year since last summer was their first here.

Bookmark   February 19, 2015 at 12:50PM
More Discussions
Hard Water for Container Plants
I have a few citrus plants/trees and pomegranates I...
WrittenOnWater
vermicomposting (worm composting)
Has anyone in Northern VA tried to compost using re...
charlieboring
Wanted: Gardeners with vision
Hello, I am writing a book about the gardens I am doing...
flowercutter
Market for Worm Castings
Hi Everyone: I'm brand new so please forgive my na�vet�. My...
AutumnsEnd
Growing Artichokes in N. VA
I am going to try again to grow artichokes in Northern...
charlieboring
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™