Black sapote seedling variation

RodneyJSOctober 23, 2011

I wanted to know if there was a lot of variation in seedling grown black sapotes. I know that they grow fast & fruit within only a couple of years. Any input would be much appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
abayomi

Curious here too. Of 30 seeds only had two take.

Bookmark   October 24, 2011 at 5:37AM
murahilin(10 fl)

There is a lot of variation with seedling black sapotes. You may end up with a tree with only male flowers and never get fruit.

Bookmark   October 24, 2011 at 3:27PM
vinceSFL

I have a black sapote tree. I had it for over 10 yrs now. It had been chopped down and grew back. It did not produce for many years but the tree was very ornamental & evergreen so I kept it. Well 4 years ago in December, I went out to my back yard and picked up a strong chocolate odor from under the tree. A fruit I never noticed fell and smashed on the ground. I looked carefully in the tree & found another one. It was pretty good. The next year, I got dozens. Every year since then,,, tons! I believe the key is patience. They are not the most delicious fruit but they are extremely good for you. I have learned to love them. The big bonus is that they ripen in the Winter around Christmas, so they are great for a year round garden.

Good luck!

Vince

Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 1:52AM
eyeckr(z8a VA)

Vince,

I love black sapote fruits. If you would consider selling any extras and ship I would be first in line to buy. Are all yours gone now?

Bookmark   April 18, 2013 at 2:43PM
vinceSFL

Hello eyeckr,

I just gave my tree a big trim for the spring. It was getting enormous. I had too try to manage her size. She's going through the Spring flowering stage. The fruit will slowly reach maturity over the Summer & Fall months. They'll be ripe come November, December. I can send you some then. No problem.

Vince

Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 9:08PM
eyeckr(z8a VA)

Sounds awesome Vince and thanks for posting a picture of your tree! Would you mind sending me a PM so I can get your contact info?

Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 9:17PM
More Discussions
Avocado leaves dying
I've been growing two avocado plants for about 10 months...
leuconoe
Where to purchase Seedless Guava Tree that ships to CA?
Hello everyone, last month, my uncle brough me two...
simon_grow
Need help/advice on dwarf tropical trees
Hello everyone! So I live in WI and am trying to pull...
sjpickart
Old problem with Miracle fruit plants
Hi everyone here! I've been trying to grow miracle...
swfx
Yellowing of Papaya leaves
Hi all, My papaya plant has been losing it's lower...
CoryMiamiBeach
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™