Belong or NOT belong in Northern Virginia

the_virginian(Zone 7 NoVA)July 20, 2006

I get comments both ways, but mostly positive and with surprise and delight. Tell me what you think about my garden and would you incorporate some of the cold hardy tropicals in your Virginia garden? Turn up your speakers and enjoy.

Here is a link that might be useful: PJ's Tropical Zone

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
slubberdegulion(z7 VA)

What an amazing show! (And your garden looks great also.)

There are two gardens near me with banana trees, which always surprise me. I like the "spike monster" the best I think. I would have to do some serious soil amending to grow most of the cold hardy yuccas and agaves here, but they sure are interesting.

I'm looking forward to seeing how your garden develops, thanks for sharing the slide show.

Kent

Bookmark   July 20, 2006 at 4:53PM
hollyberri

I just moved to Herndon from NY a year ago, and it never ceases to amaze me the type of tropical vegetation my neighbors have going in their yards! I'm curious though, do you find your tropical garden more active in spring or summer? Also, I noticed one of the palms growing awfully close to your house, are their roots not-invasive enough to hurt your foundation? I keep finding yellow poplar trees and oaks growing next to my house and it worries me that it'll affect the foundation.

Bookmark   July 22, 2006 at 11:58AM
the_virginian(Zone 7 NoVA)

Hollyberri:

Thanks for the kudos and no, palm trees do not have invasive or strong enough roots to hurt your foundation. Hardwood trees on the other hand can be dangerous to the foundation in some cases. I find the garden looks best in the summer and early fall, but this year is the first year so it is hard to gauge.

Bookmark   July 22, 2006 at 7:07PM
More Discussions
Success with Heather?
Has anyone had any success with growing heath/heather...
shawnees
4-season perennials for clay soil
We are looking for some shrubs/other plants to cover...
jackileighw
New to Virginia - Vegtable Theif
I am new to Virginia, Fort Eustis to be precise. And...
armywifecw
Growing Artichokes in N. VA
I am going to try again to grow artichokes in Northern...
charlieboring
Starting My 2015 Garden
I planted some seeds inside my basement in December....
charlieboring
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™