Virginia nurseries

bobbygil(7)July 19, 2006

Hi..I'm driving from Atlanta to Connecticut in early Sept and would love breaking up the trip by stopping at nurseries that have a good selection of perennials. Anyone have a favorite nursery thats not to far off of 85 and 95?Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Brent_In_NoVA(z7/6 VA)

In the Northern Virginia area I would recommend a stop by Merrifield Garden Center. I have not been to the Merrifield location, but the Fair Oaks one is not too far out of the way. It has a large selection or shrubs, tree and perennials along with a nice display garden. The prices tend to be rather high, but in line for the area, quality and size.

- Brent

Here is a link that might be useful: Merrifield Garden Center

Bookmark   July 19, 2006 at 6:16PM
the_virginian(Zone 7 NoVA)

Bluemont nursery in Ashburn, Virginia and Holly, Woods and Vine in Alexandria, VA.

Bookmark   July 20, 2006 at 11:15AM
suz_in_ffx

Here's a second to Merrifield Garden Center. The Fair Oaks location is better (better selection of perennials for shade, and sun, plus more shrubs) than the Merrifield one, but the staff is friendly and helpful at both.

Suz

Bookmark   July 20, 2006 at 10:08PM
nicethyme

Sandy's Plants in Mechanicsville outside of Richmond.

Just down from Merrifield Nursery on rt 29 (an overly expensive nursery)is Betty's Azalea Ranch, looks like tackville from the road but has great selection.

Sadly, Windy Hill in Aldie was the place for perennials but is closed down this year. I still like to make my way down rt 50 though, there's South Riding, Green Star and (puke) Meadow Farms for an occasional gem lost in the walmart like selection.

Bookmark   August 20, 2006 at 9:14PM
creatrix(z7 VA)

I'll second the Sandy's nomination. They're not too far off 295 east of Richmond. It is mostly wholesale, so don't expect a lot of hand-holding. Their retail prices are average.

You'll want a hat and some water with you- you'll be out there a while.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sandy's Plants

Bookmark   August 22, 2006 at 10:40PM
gardener_sandy

Colesville Nursery is just north of Richmond in the Ashland area. They have a website and directions. Like Sandy's they're mostly wholesale but sell retail, also.
From Richmond:

Take I-95 north to the Ashland exit (92B). Go 1/2 mile to Route 1 (the 3rd stoplight) and turn right. Proceed north about 1.2 miles to Jamestown Road and turn right. After crossing over I-95 you will see Colesville Nursery signs and will take a left onto Nursery Road (our driveway).

Bookmark   August 23, 2006 at 7:08PM
More Discussions
Growing Artichokes in N. VA
I am going to try again to grow artichokes in Northern...
charlieboring
Planting onion bulbs
I noticed they had onion bulbs on sale at the Fair...
dhd47
New home for any unwanted winter holiday plants
I'm interested in any of the holiday plants used for...
dhd47
Fuyu in Northern VA
My fuyu persimmon tree shown in the picture had a great...
charlieboring
Starting My 2015 Garden
I planted some seeds inside my basement in December....
charlieboring
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™