monster invasive trumpet vine

gin3July 10, 2008

Has anyone had success getting rid of trumpet vine? It crawls underground and i find that getting rid of the top growth just makes it mad and grow farther, popping up 20 feet away and farther every year. what a monster! It should be illegal to sell anywhere. i have tried full strenght round up but it doesnt stop it. I cant dig up my whole garden, and I hear you can never get it all anyway. Any suggestions? Please!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
meldy_nva(z6b VA)

Snip the vines a few inches above the roots, and remove them to a trash bag. The vine will make new leaves; pour boiling water over the leaves. Repeat as soon as it makes more new leaves. The plant cannot survive without the ability to make chlorophyll.

If you make a habit of strolling around every couple days with a teapot full of hot water, and scald any new leaves wherever they pop up, the plant will *eventually* die. Yes, this takes time but does not poison your soil as the herbicides do, and it IS effective.

BTW, do not use this method for controlling poison ivy. The steam could contain urushiol, and you *don't* want to breathe that!

Bookmark   July 11, 2008 at 8:23AM
More Discussions
When is it time to start planting lettuce and endive?
I'm in the NOVA area of VA and wanted to know when...
dhd47
New home for any unwanted winter holiday plants
I'm interested in any of the holiday plants used for...
dhd47
Growing Artichokes in N. VA
I am going to try again to grow artichokes in Northern...
charlieboring
Fuyu Persimmon Tree in Norhtern VA
My Fuyu persimmon tree had its best year ever in 2014....
charlieboring
Planting onion bulbs
I noticed they had onion bulbs on sale at the Fair...
dhd47
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™