japanese beetles

biowormAugust 6, 2010

I'm having strange experiences with the j beetles this year. I've tried some remedies for extermination of these major nuisances and am trying to figure out what may have worked. They just up and disappeared they usually linger almost until first frost.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardener_sandy

Some years there are just not as many of them as others. According to VA Tech, drought in late July and early August will reduce populations the following year. I don't think it was especially dry here back then but I can't say for sure. And with summer thunderstorms being the main source of parcipitaion that time of year, it could be that your area was just missed then and the ground was too dry for them.

I've never had a serious problem with them and I'm in Chesterfield, too. What did you do this year that was different from past years?

Sandy

Bookmark   August 26, 2010 at 8:27PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
veggie_pak(7a)

Milky Spore is an organic powder that you distribute on your land (garden, lawn, shrub beds, etc.) in the recommended amount in a grid pattern, and then water it in. It is a completely organic product that is reputed to last for 15 to 20 years. It affects the growth of the grubs several ways, preventing them from becoming beetles. You can Google it and read about it's discovery/development. I don't have problems with them here, so I haven't put it down. You might want to apply it so it can start working. My brother put it down on his garden and lawn in Pennsylvania, and there was a drastic reduction in the number of beetles the next year.

Check it out.

veggie_pak

Bookmark   October 25, 2010 at 8:00PM
More Discussions
Virginia Cooperative Extension needs your help!
VCE is updating its program that helps Virginia residents...
Susan_R
Wanted: Gardeners with vision
Hello, I am writing a book about the gardens I am doing...
flowercutter
Where in Virgina should we move to? Please help.
I know this is a bit of an oddball topic, but I'm a...
pequafrog
Blueberries in fredericksburg
I'm looking to plant bb in the burg. Have prepped the...
gastone21
Anyone live near the Compton's oak in Williamsburg, Va?
Either the Ghirardi oak or the Champion Comton's oak...
poaky1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™