Need help with Bird of Paradise

TLC27(7B)August 2, 2012

Hi All -

I brought the plant outdoors in May and all was well until a few weeks ago we had a couple weeks of scorching heat and then heavy rainfall. Leaves began to curl inward and I noticed some yellowing near the stalk. Now there are brown spots as well. Do I need more/less light & water? Keep it indoors year round? I didn't have these issues last summer (outdoors may-sept) or all winter & even grew a new branch! yay! I am a relatively inexperienced gardener and just don't know how to save it. Any help/advice is greatly appreciated...

Thanks!

TLC

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardenwoof(9)

Having experience with plants that are to be reintroduced into the landscape I would recommend that a plant as this should be slowly brought back to full sun over a two week period. Let it sit in shade for a week and then filtered sun for five to seven days followed by full sun. Many plants with these leaves (Banana trees also) will not be happy to soak in the hot rays much as humans and many animals. Go ahead and cut those stems back as they will do no good to the regrowth of the plant. I live in Central CA. San Joaquin Valley where we have temps. up to 110 degrees in mid summer. Happy Gardening!

Bookmark   August 27, 2012 at 3:18AM
More Discussions
Paw Paw and Gojiberry Seedlings
I have a couple of paw paw seedlings and two gojiberry...
charlieboring
Fuyu in Northern VA
My fuyu persimmon tree shown in the picture had a great...
charlieboring
Success with Heather?
Has anyone had any success with growing heath/heather...
shawnees
Nursery Recommendations for Northern Virginia (near Alexandria)
Hi all, I'm taking on a landscaping project for my...
peren_awkward
new to Hampton Roads
Hello out there, I left my gardens in Ohio for a new...
abbiejan64
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™