Yellow roadside flowers?

gardener_sandySeptember 10, 2006

What are the yellow flowers that bloom every fall along the roadsides and in other waste places? Are they rudbeckia and if so, which one? I'm in Chesterfield and lots of the more rural areas are covered in these beauties.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
slubberdegulion(z7 VA)

I'm sure I couldn't tell you exactly which Rudbeckia it is you're seeing, but my guess is that it is probably R. hirta, R. laciniata, or possibly R. triloba. R. hirta seems to be fairly common.

I was passing through Newcastle yesterday afternoon and saw large stands of Helianthus, Solidago, and Rudbeckia (sunflowers, goldenrod, and blackeyed susans). I could have collected seeds there and created my sunflower border for free! Shucks...

Here is the USDA Plants profile page for R. hirta, you can check out the pics for the other species there too...

Here is a link that might be useful: Rudbeckia

Bookmark   September 10, 2006 at 4:27PM
gardenpaws_VA(z7 NoVA)

The other possibility is that it's a Bidens (tickseed) of whatever sort - probably B. aristosa. The stems are slimmer, and there isn't a real heavy center (though you wouldn't know it if you happen to run afoul of the mature seeds, or have to pick them out of a pet's fur!). These are much more common in mass along the roadside than the Helianthus or Rudbeckia (at least in fall), and present a very different picture from the goldenrod.

http://www.loudounwildlife.org/HHFallWildflowers.htm

I don't think there will be a lot of difference, at least in genera, between Northern VA and where you are, based on what I've seen driving.

Robin

Here is a link that might be useful: Bidens aristosa

Bookmark   September 14, 2006 at 9:53PM
nickel_kg(7)

Around my area the "yellow ditch flowers" are the Bidens ... they seem to spring up from nowhere about now, don't they? We love'em.

Bookmark   September 15, 2006 at 9:16PM
gardener_sandy

Thanks for all the help. Yes, I think they are Bidens. Some have a darker and larger "eye" like black or brown eyed susans but most appear to be tickseed. All of them are beautiful and so cheerful this time of year.

Bookmark   September 17, 2006 at 11:43AM
blu305(5/Ct)

With no photo to go by I can only bring to mind a lovely yellow plant I found growing alongside the road near Bedford, Va. It's a yellow aster. Grows to about 4 ft tall in my garden (much like New England aster) Does great in my now garden here in Connecticut. Margie (former loghomelady)

Bookmark   October 24, 2006 at 3:00PM
grannysbloomers

Is that the one that looks like a yellow cosmos? We had one pop up in a bed next to the house this year and it is beautiful but afraid it might be tickseed and with three dogs that is all we need.

Bookmark   November 29, 2006 at 7:45AM
More Discussions
Hard Water for Container Plants
I have a few citrus plants/trees and pomegranates I...
WrittenOnWater
vermicomposting (worm composting)
Has anyone in Northern VA tried to compost using re...
charlieboring
organic container gardening
I need sources nurseries for organic container garden...
laffanyway
Planting Garlic in Northern VA
Friday, 10/17/2014, I prepared a new area and expanded...
charlieboring
Paw Paw and Gojiberry Seedlings
I have a couple of paw paw seedlings and two gojiberry...
charlieboring
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™