Loropetalum

pegwrite(z7MD)September 7, 2006

I am thinking of planting a loropetalum bush but I know it is considered a southern bush, hardy to zone 7. I live in zone 7 and was concerned that it may die over the winter. Has anyone in Virginia, especially northern virginia, had any experience with these plants?

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hudvalley(z7 VA)

i'm heading into my first winter with two purple loropetalum ZhouZho hybrid. i put them in VERY early last "spring" - first of March actually. They weathered a freak late snowfall on Saint Patrick's day - blooms and all. They are in all the garden center here (richmond) so i hope they last a cold winter. I have seen them around my neighborhood, so i believe they will be ok. good luck.

Bookmark   September 9, 2006 at 4:15PM
annec(7 VA)

Mine are heading into their third winter; I'm in zone 7 SE Virginia. They're fine; go ahead and plant them in the fall.

Bookmark   September 24, 2006 at 2:47PM
annec(7 VA)

Almost forgot...while they're young/small, after it snows go out and shake it off so the branches don't break or split under the weight of the snow.

Bookmark   September 24, 2006 at 3:05PM
grannysbloomers

When I lived in N. Al (also zone 7) we used them a lot as landscaping shrubs. Other than ice damage a few times they did very well there so I don't see any reason why they would not do well here either. I prefer to plant all shrubs and trees in the fall so the roots have a good chance to growing before the summer heat sets in. I learned in college that roots grow in winter, tops/blooms/fruit in summer so I have always done this.

Bookmark   November 29, 2006 at 8:46AM
Filbert(7 VA)

I live in No. Va. (inner Fairfax County) and have had good luck with purple loropetalum. No special winterizing treatment other than a layer of shredded leaf mulch.

Filbert

Bookmark   November 30, 2006 at 9:31AM
More Discussions
Pomegranates This Winter
I'm wondering if there are any particular strategies...
drmbear
new to Hampton Roads
Hello out there, I left my gardens in Ohio for a new...
abbiejan64
What is that on the Apple tree branch?
Hi, I am a fairly new fruit tree grower and last month...
Virginia6b
Growing Artichokes in N. VA
I am going to try again to grow artichokes in Northern...
charlieboring
hardscaping-Fredericksburg
I just purchased a townhouse with a small, dreary back...
Hslibr
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™