Anybody leaving their dahlias/hibiscus outside this Winter?

pulldownclawSeptember 15, 2006

Hi,

I live in Richmond and am wondering if I can plant my dahlias and hibiscus in the ground for the winter. I would try to put them in a Southern facing area with some protection. Anybody tried this with any luck? BTW, the hibiscus was bought from Lowes (no good info on the tag of course), not sure what kind it is, but I think it is the tropical kind and it says hardy to 30 degrees.

Thanks,

Noah

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
daveainva(Z6/7)

I have overwintered dahlias for the past 9-12 years here in Western VA. I mound dry leaves over the dahlias after a hard frost and place a bag of leaves or tomato cage over the leaves to hold them in place. Usually have nearly one foot of leaves by end of winter from 18" or so placed there in the fall. I have also set a bale of straw/hay over the dahlia roots.

Bookmark   September 18, 2006 at 7:25AM
grannysbloomers

I doubt the Tropical Hibiscus would make it, but I leave my dahlias in the ground all winter and have never lost any except for an unusually wet winter when some of them rotted. I have perennial Hibiscus here and they do well all winter. I mulch everything here with pine straw since we have a lot of pine trees on the middle peninsula

Bookmark   November 29, 2006 at 9:39AM
Filbert(7 VA)

I started leaving my dahlias in the ground 2 years ago--mostly because I simply didn't have time to lift and store them. Not only did they come back, but they grew faster and larger than the new dahlias I planted nearby.

I have heard, however, that the weather pattern for this winter looks like colder temps and more snow so I'll be sure to add an extra layer of leaf mulch for protection.

Bookmark   November 30, 2006 at 9:24AM
More Discussions
Paw Paw and Gojiberry Seedlings
I have a couple of paw paw seedlings and two gojiberry...
charlieboring
Fuyu Persimmon Tree in Norhtern VA
My Fuyu persimmon tree had its best year ever in 2014....
charlieboring
Starting My 2015 Garden
I planted some seeds inside my basement in December....
charlieboring
new to Hampton Roads
Hello out there, I left my gardens in Ohio for a new...
abbiejan64
Nursery Recommendations for Northern Virginia (near Alexandria)
Hi all, I'm taking on a landscaping project for my...
peren_awkward
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™