faster growing trees for summer shade

rfbcville(7b)September 26, 2006

I'm new to Charlottesville, VA zone 7b area and our house has no trees. I am looking for:

a fast(er) growing for summer shade for south side of house & backyard

Fruit/leaves not poisinous to dogs

Strong wood/disease resistant/Not too invasive roots

we have hard clay soil

I know some of the fastest growing trees have weaker wood - so maybe I should plant 2 types of trees near each other - a fast grower and a slower but stronger grower - any ideas about good combinations?

Thanks for your help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
creatrix(z7 VA)

Here's a list I found by searching 'shade trees zone 7'. GA has some colder areas in the mountains, so some of these will work for you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Univ. of GA fast shade tree list

Bookmark   September 27, 2006 at 11:14PM
taxonomist(7b VA)

I believe that you will be well pleased if you select a Golden rain tree, Koeleuteria paniculata Laxmann., is a very fast-growing and extremely hardy,deciduous shade tree.
This tree has been assigned to the tropical family; Sapindaceae. It thrives here in zone 6 and 7 and appears to be resistant to both fungal and insect damage. When it flowers, you will realise why it is termed Golden raintree
Perhaps you will be able to find a good write-up and some photos in your local library.

Bookmark   October 12, 2006 at 7:46PM
meldy_nva(z6b VA)

There are several trees called golden rain tree. Koelreuteria paniculata is the common one, but is also considered a pest tree by many people because it re-seeds enthusiastically, and some people are allergic to the scent of the flowers. But it is a very attractive tree.

If you have space, do consider the Carolina Silverbell. It's smaller, but sturdy and tolerant of neglect. I haven't had any problem with seedlings. It is said to be found along streams and in moist areas, but mine is at the top of a ridge slope, and gets no extra water.

Here is a link that might be useful: silver bell tree

Bookmark   October 13, 2006 at 7:06AM
More Discussions
Covering a Pergola with vines. Which ones?
I have a pergola here in Virginia. Right on the Newport...
virginia_mike
new to Hampton Roads
Hello out there, I left my gardens in Ohio for a new...
abbiejan64
When is it time to start planting lettuce and endive?
I'm in the NOVA area of VA and wanted to know when...
dhd47
Fuyu Persimmon Tree in Norhtern VA
My Fuyu persimmon tree had its best year ever in 2014....
charlieboring
New to Virginia - Vegtable Theif
I am new to Virginia, Fort Eustis to be precise. And...
armywifecw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™