Active Fall and Winter Organic Vegetable Gardening

veggie_pak(7a)October 30, 2010

Is anyone else working their vegetable garden through fall and winter? I have mine ready to go. If you're interested, you can visit my blog to see what I have been doing with my vegetable garden since Memorial Day of this year. Currently, I have harvested 1,364 pounds of produce from my vegetable garden this year. From this year's harvest, I have 159 jars of canned organic produce. I just picked 4 and one half pounds of snap beans and I am going to can them this morning.

http://www.backyardorganicvegetables.blogspot.com/

Happy vegetable gardening!

Veggie PAK

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
indu_modali

Where in Virginia are you? I live close to Annapolis, Maryland. I grew a very successful garden this year using no chemicals. However, I have nothing in the garden now. Can you suggest some ideas? I have some coriander seedlings in the garden bed. Pl let me know what can be grown in the fall so that atleast next year I can use ths knowledge. Thank you...Indu Modali

Bookmark   November 5, 2010 at 7:15AM
veggie_pak(7a)

Call or go to your area garden centers and ask if they have broccoli, collard, Brussels sprout or swiss chard plants still for sale. If they do, pick up a sufficient number to fill your garden space. I grew all of those last winter, through snow and cold weather. They are cool weather crops.

Good Luck! Let me know how you make out with it.

Thanks for your message.

veggie_pak

Bookmark   November 5, 2010 at 4:06PM
veggie_pak(7a)

Sorry, I forgot to answer your first question. I am by Norfolk, VA. by the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay.

Thanks,
veggie_pak

Bookmark   November 5, 2010 at 4:11PM
vaplantman(8a - Newport News)

Veggie_pak has a great garden and very impressive results. Anybody in the mid-atlantic, particularly the tidewater area should, should look to his blog for advice and ideas. I also maintain a gardening blog. I'm in Newport News, VA and I'm trying to grow fall/winter hardy crops like kale, chard, carrots, garlic, onions, etc. My blog is:
http://point09acres.blogspot.com
Please visit my blog as well as veggie_pak's. Have a great Thanksgiving.

Here is a link that might be useful: .09 Acres

Bookmark   November 25, 2010 at 8:26PM
bobbic(7)

I've been reading Eliot Coleman's books Winter Harvest Handbook and Four Season Harvest, so I'm inspired to garden in the winter months, although I didn't pull anything together for this year. I got a little cold frame but I did something wrong, because I had sprouts but they didn't grow much bigger than that. I think I got the venting wrong and steamed the poor things :(

Time to go check out your blogs! :)

Here is a link that might be useful: My rarely updated garden blog

Bookmark   January 7, 2011 at 9:38AM
coffeehaus(7a Central VA)

FYI...Eliot Coleman will be a featured speaker at the annual Virginia Association for Biological Farming in February.

Here is a link that might be useful: VABF Annual Conference 2011

Bookmark   January 23, 2011 at 1:31PM
More Discussions
Fuyu in Northern VA
My fuyu persimmon tree shown in the picture had a great...
charlieboring
Starting My 2015 Garden
I planted some seeds inside my basement in December....
charlieboring
When is it time to start planting lettuce and endive?
I'm in the NOVA area of VA and wanted to know when...
dhd47
Nursery Recommendations for Northern Virginia (near Alexandria)
Hi all, I'm taking on a landscaping project for my...
peren_awkward
New to Virginia - Vegtable Theif
I am new to Virginia, Fort Eustis to be precise. And...
armywifecw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™