Any mildew problems with Solidago in Central VA?

summerstar(Z7VA)October 7, 2008

I'm thinking of planting Solidago Golden Fleece but read it can get mildew. It shows up in my garden by July or August on Red Cone flowers. Others that I've written to on the "Perennial" forum don't seem to have a problem with this on their Solidago, but they don't live in hot and very humid Central Virginia.

I live within three miles of the Blue Ridge and we don't get much rain in July or August so I'm looking for a drought tolerant 24" to 30" yellow flowering perennial. The sun in these months is intense and my garden faces south with absolutely no shade. Rudbekia 'Goldstrum' flops the second day after a good watering.

Bluestone has a very pretty Heliopsis called Midwest Dreams, that I'm really tempted to try, but it's a little taller than I'd like. It seems as though it's leaves are smaller than Goldstrum's, so probably loses less water.

I'd sure like to know how your Solidago holds up against mildew in VA and if Heliopsis can take the heat. I'd sure like to find the right plant this time.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dogear6(7 / Richmond VA)

I do not know about the two plants that you mentioned, but we put in dianthus this summer and it is doing great. It is very heat and drought tolerant, not very tall, and absolutely no trouble with mildew. And we've had a lot of trouble with mildew in Richmond.

Bookmark   October 7, 2008 at 10:27PM
More Discussions
Growing Blue Bells and Wildflowers - Painter, VA
Growing up I remember Dog Tooth Violet, Spring Beauty,...
evelyn257
vermicomposting (worm composting)
Has anyone in Northern VA tried to compost using re...
charlieboring
New home for any unwanted winter holiday plants
I'm interested in any of the holiday plants used for...
dhd47
Growing Artichokes in N. VA
I am going to try again to grow artichokes in Northern...
charlieboring
How to "restore" bare clay yard in Lynchburg, VA.
We've just moved to Lynchburg from outside Baltimore....
Pam Fisher
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™