What to do with tuberrose

decogrlNovember 9, 2008

I bought a tuberrose from a local nursery and want to know what to do with it over the winter. It is from Homestead Gardens and was told it is borderline hardy. Anyone have experiences with them?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rian(7va)

I've grown tuberose in Vienna, VA for about 4yrs now. Mine have been dug up and will be spending the winter in the crawl space. The only plants I love enough to do this for year after year are tuberose and dahlias.

Although I have occasionally forgotten a dahlia or two and they have come up again next year just fine, I've never had that experience with tuberose. If they've had to winter over in the cold cold ground, they've just disappeared.

All of my warmer micro-climate spaces are occupied by camellias figs persimmons etc, so it's possible that I have places warm enough for them to winter over...if the winter is mild enough.... I'll be interested to see if anyone is able to leave them in the ground successfully.

Bookmark   November 9, 2008 at 7:26AM
decogrl

Anything special I need to do like clean off dirt and store them the same way as a dahlia?

Just curious because whatever I do will need to be done before tonight as the temps are expected to drop.

Thanks---I was hoping I would not have to move them indoors as I already have about 20 other tropical plants I had to move in.

Bookmark   November 10, 2008 at 1:52PM
rian(7va)

Other than just brushing off the dirt I've never given them much thought. They are not as troublesome to store as dahlias.

Bookmark   November 11, 2008 at 7:45AM
rian(7va)

The crawl space is dark and evenly cool-cold all winter. I don't know if they would do well in the living areas of a house. Has anyone stored them in other conditions?

Bookmark   November 11, 2008 at 7:52AM
Dave in NoVA • 7a • Northern VA

I think you need to keep them from freezing. I grow mine in pots, so just move the pots to the garage. Stop watering; they dry up and go dormant. They'll start to grow again by maybe around April or May. Increase water and move outdoors when whether is warm. I've never planted them in the ground. Do they do better in ground than in a pot?

Bookmark   November 19, 2008 at 2:35PM
harold100(7)

Five years ago I bought 3 bulbs at the NC state fair and they have greatly multiplied, but only 2 have ever bloomed. I've dug them up to store in the basement and then also left them in the ground but nothing works. What might be wrong? I'm in Danville right on the southern border of VA.

Bookmark   February 20, 2009 at 10:22AM
More Discussions
Success with Heather?
Has anyone had any success with growing heath/heather...
shawnees
Fuyu in Northern VA
My fuyu persimmon tree shown in the picture had a great...
charlieboring
Covering a Pergola with vines. Which ones?
I have a pergola here in Virginia. Right on the Newport...
virginia_mike
Starting My 2015 Garden
I planted some seeds inside my basement in December....
charlieboring
What is that on the Apple tree branch?
Hi, I am a fairly new fruit tree grower and last month...
Virginia6b
Sponsored Products
Precious Rose Rectangular: 5 Ft. x 8 Ft. Rug
$240.95 | Bellacor
Deluxe Ventilated Cedar Closet Wall Kit
Signature Hardware
Domino Pink Rectangular: 5 In. x 8 In. Rug
$159.00 | Bellacor
Calphalon 32-in. Straight Wall Pot Rack - GW32
$40.00 | Hayneedle
Distressed Shelving Unit
$398.99 | Dot & Bo
Unique 3'x12' Runner Blue Geometric Super Kazak Hand Knotted Wool Area Rug H7125
BH Sun Inc
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Kaleen Rugs Kenwood Ivory 3 ft. 6 in. x 5 ft. 6
Home Depot
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Loloi Rugs Rugs Weston Lifestyle Collection Beige 2 ft. 3
Home Depot
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™