pruning or trimming hedges

TerraformerNovember 2, 2013

I recently moved into a new-to-me home. The hedges need to be trimmed. However I have no idea what type of hedge these are. They are not coniferous but they hold leaves all year around even in the snow...according to the former owner of the home. I am somewhat of an amateur at gardening...but I am wanting to try. I am a Midwesterner, so I am a not very knowledgeable about foliage in this state. When should I trim the hedges? Can I still trim the hedges before this winter?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardener_sandy

You do not want to trim them now. Our fall weather typically has several weeks of warm weather that may push them into new growth that will be damaged by the later cold weather. I would suggest that you take a sample of the shrubs to your local Cooperative Extension office or a full service garden store and get an identification. That way you can be sure of the proper time to prune and how much to prune them. Some need pruning in late winter and others later in the growing season. You can locate your Extension office through the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Virginia Cooperative Extension offices

Bookmark   November 13, 2013 at 12:11AM
More Discussions
New home for any unwanted winter holiday plants
I'm interested in any of the holiday plants used for...
dhd47
Starting My 2015 Garden
I planted some seeds inside my basement in December....
charlieboring
Fuyu Persimmon Tree in Norhtern VA
My Fuyu persimmon tree had its best year ever in 2014....
charlieboring
Covering a Pergola with vines. Which ones?
I have a pergola here in Virginia. Right on the Newport...
virginia_mike
When is it time to start planting lettuce and endive?
I'm in the NOVA area of VA and wanted to know when...
dhd47
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™