What's wrong with my ornamental pineapple?

mcgyvr2009i(Schenectady, NY 5b)November 16, 2012

I have bought an ornamental pineapple. It was doing fine until I watered it the first time. It was 100% dry, so I saturated the soil. I only had it for almost 2 weeks. I had it in a Northeast facing window. I'm not sure if it's the sunlight, or if it was the watering. This is my 3rd time experimenting with pineapples. I tried growing the edible kind from store bought pineapple tops but failed both times. So, now I'm experimenting with an ornamental. I'm not really good with pineapples, lol So, perhaps you can identify the problem? Thanks!

Here's a top view. You can kind of see the leaves that turned yellow and are drying up.

Here's a better view, you can clearly see the problem with the leaves.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
houstontexas123(z9a)

as a tropical plant it needs more light. you can use a high wattage CFL bulb with a reflector on a timer for a minimum of 6 hours per day.

it could also use a larger pot and well draining potting mix.

this is my indoor setup for when we get freezing temps.

Bookmark   November 16, 2012 at 3:20PM
Doglips(8b/9a)

There is a whole bromeliad forum on the site you might want to try asking in there. My short guess would be that you watered too much.

Bookmark   November 17, 2012 at 1:26AM
murahilin(10 fl)

That is a regular pineapple that you are growing, not an different non-edible species. It was just forced to fruit at a very small size that is why the fruit is so small.

Your problem looks like either lack of light or rot caused by too much water, as both other replies have suggested.

Bookmark   November 18, 2012 at 5:53PM
mcgyvr2009i(Schenectady, NY 5b)

The tag said "not for consumption." But I did look up what the tag said it is which is the "Mini Me" species, and it looked like a miniature version of the edible one. So, perhaps it is edible. Of course, according to the tag, this one is supposed to be red. So, I'm kind of caught in a pickle. lol

Of course, I stuck it IN the window instead of next to it and it appears to be doing much better, thank goodness.

Bookmark   November 19, 2012 at 8:16AM
More Discussions
Avocado leaves dying
I've been growing two avocado plants for about 10 months...
leuconoe
Lychee Mauritius finally blooming ....
My 10-year old Lychee Mauritius is finally in bloom....
bananafan
Need help choosing containers for red maradol papaya
Hi friends, I am planning to start red maradol papaya...
vidnand
Do you have a Soursop that is producing fruit for you?
I purchased a Soursop back in 2009 and it has always...
bananafan
White Sapote in a container?
Hi, Is it possible for a white Sapote in a container...
fleabernal1983
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™