Overwintering a Mandevilla; Inside or in Basement?

posyplanterDecember 6, 2010

Hello y'all'

I had a beautiful crimson mandevilla in a pot that I brought inside a few days ago. Believe it or not, it was still blooming on our front porch, and I wanted to save it from the cold. Unfortunately, it has been "pouting"; leaves are drying up, in spite of watering and blooms are shriveling as well. I kept it in the laundry room at first, which isn't overly warm, then moved it into the dining room. We heat with a wood stove, although I'm usually careful about not putting plants in the same room, and we humidify our home....what's wrong and why is it sad???? Should it be cut back and moved to the basement with the begonia tubers? This plant was beautiful, and I HATE the thought of losing it....it can't stay outside! What shall I do; need advice!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
daveainva2

A bit late for a response, but the experience of a friend is as follows. She overwintered a mandevilla, and it started to grow. However it was july before it bloomed. Maybe in zone 7 you could do better. She wanted blooms before the summer was half over.

Bookmark   February 19, 2011 at 11:37AM
More Discussions
Anyone live near the Compton's oak in Williamsburg, Va?
Either the Ghirardi oak or the Champion Comton's oak...
poaky1
new to Hampton Roads
Hello out there, I left my gardens in Ohio for a new...
abbiejan64
Fuyu in Northern VA
My fuyu persimmon tree shown in the picture had a great...
charlieboring
Blueberries in fredericksburg
I'm looking to plant bb in the burg. Have prepped the...
gastone21
vermicomposting (worm composting)
Has anyone in Northern VA tried to compost using re...
charlieboring
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™