What Insect Is This?

carbosNovember 27, 2011

I'm seeing many of the these on the undersides of my mango tree. Pretty designs, but I'm sure whatever it is has evil intentions. Can someone identify what this is and what to do about it? It isn't the greatest picture, but if you click on it and enlarge it,, I think you'll be able to see what I have.

Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tropicalgrower89(10b)

White fly. I have the same problem.

Bookmark   November 27, 2011 at 12:07PM
sleep(10a/b)

I have it too. Very, very annoying. I can even see them flying around in the mornings. My neighbors have a Gigantic ficus hedge that is the source I believe, and I don't see the source changing anytime.

It does seem to be affecting my young trees, not sure what to do at this point ..

Bookmark   November 27, 2011 at 1:49PM
tropicalgrower89(10b)

I bought a set of 15 yellow sticky white fly/aphid traps from amazon.com . They caught a bunch of them and other bugs, but there are still plenty flying around. I have shrubs all around my back yard. A small section of them are ficus. Next month, I'm getting rid of all of my shrubs where they seem to call "home" and spread towards my fruit trees.

Bookmark   November 27, 2011 at 2:24PM
carbos

Oops. I moved the file and so the link above is broken. Here it is:

Bookmark   November 27, 2011 at 4:11PM
wizzard419

If it is whitefly the best thing you can do is soak the trees in an oil spray. I've used All Seasons (it goes on the end of the hose) you spray it once (possibly twice if they return the next week) and they are gone. I applied mine once and they have not returned.

I'm not 100% sure on mango leaves though, you will probably want to ask your local expert about the options you have.

Bookmark   November 27, 2011 at 4:55PM
bsbullie

As I have said before, you must control/stop the source of the whitefly. Treating your mango trees is all well and good but if the whitefly source is still around, you have not eliminated the risk.

Rob

Bookmark   November 27, 2011 at 10:08PM
wizzard419

That is true, I've had trees in the ground for 20 years without a whitefly, ever. Then, for the last two years, the summers got really cool and mild, which made the perfect habitat for the whitefly.

If I recall, according to the pest control lady, if they aren't in full sun and it's damp/cool they may show up. So if you can move your trees somewhere warmer/brighter that would work too.

Bookmark   November 27, 2011 at 11:09PM
carbos

Find the source and eliminate it. Of course! Alas, where do these guys like to hang out?

Bookmark   November 28, 2011 at 7:34AM
wizzard419

They like cooler, shady, and possibly slighly damp areas.

Destroying plants pretty much won't do anything, you need to make the plants unattractive by warming up the plants (by moving them into hotter parts of the garden) or use the spray.

I think in general they love fruit trees (can't be certain as all my trees are fruit trees) and they have yet to show up on any bushes or shrubs here.

Bookmark   November 28, 2011 at 11:37PM
bsbullie

Three local plants that whitefly like, depending on the species of whitefly, are ficus, gumbo limbo and papaya.

Rob

Bookmark   November 29, 2011 at 7:20AM
More Discussions
Help ID this Papaya plant
Hi A friend gave me a seedling grown from a seed they...
eagleeyesg
Is my tree a Sapote or a Sapodilla?
Hello, I am new to this forum and growing tropical...
waterfowler90
Rehabilitated Mango
Hello; this is a mango that has been in our yard for...
BahamaDan ZTropic
soursop tree
Hello, we have some young soursop trees and they have...
cee8
Need help with mango tree
I have a tree and was wondering if in the future it...
lindalepark2006713
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™