My Fires, My lovely fires.

wantonamara Z8 CenTexDecember 4, 2011

They lifted the burn ban and I was able to burn LAST YEARS cut brush. It was scary because the grass was still pretty dry. ...Its not now. We are soggy and muddy now. I have three more piles to go and then it is this years piles.

Here is a link that might be useful: My lovely fires

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pjtexgirl(7b DFW)

Who's bringing the marshmellows?

Bookmark   December 4, 2011 at 10:18PM
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

I can't get close enough to toast anything but me. After I finish the piles I am going to burn the grass in the whole field. I have never done that before.. This will be a first for me. I did go to a workshop on it. So now, of course, I am an expert. LOL

Bookmark   December 4, 2011 at 10:54PM
roselee z8b S.W. Texas

I love seeing the pictures of your fires, especially on this cold morning when the pilot light is out on the heater here and the 'mulch guy/heater lighter' sleeps late ... LOL!

Those piles of brush represent a lot of work. What is the purpose for burning the grass (fresh grass growth, more wild flowers?) and what do you have in mind for the fields after you burn the grass? Although I'm a city girl I'm fascinated with what ranchers and farmers do.

Thanks again for sharing your excellent photos.

Bookmark   December 7, 2011 at 10:26AM
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

Lots of work thinning my stands of cedar and oaks. The Thach in the grass has gotten really thick and the new grass and wildflowers have a tough time getting through it . So, I need to burn it.

Whatever grows there is what will grow there. I might toss some seed but so far I have been unsuccessful in getting things started that did not come naturally. I am still learning. Always learning.

Bookmark   December 7, 2011 at 1:04PM
roselee z8b S.W. Texas

Thanks Mara. I'm for tossing the seeds and seeing what happens in the ashes :-)

Bookmark   December 7, 2011 at 4:37PM
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

The fire will "excite" some seeds that are already in the dirt and they will sprout. There are many seeds out in the dirt, just naturally. I might go and buy some though. The grass will grow back from its roots also. Things are not dead just black.

Bookmark   December 7, 2011 at 4:43PM
melvalena

I remember as a young girl nearly everyone burned their grass in El Paso. I don't think we did it every year. I was told it would come back nicer. I don't remember when we did it either. But I'm sure it was in the winter/early spring while it was dormant.

Bookmark   December 7, 2011 at 5:45PM
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

One does not need to do it every year. I have not done it before . I have been told it is a desirable thing to do and I have been told by people who know more than me and have advanced degrees.

Bookmark   December 8, 2011 at 6:31PM
More Discussions
Would you share your exerience with Cestrums?
Although I have grown night blooming jessamine (Cestrum...
jardineratx
info about gardening in Dallas?
My daughter just bought a house and has asked for help...
teacup754
Lady Banks on roof
Lady Banks, Old Blush, and Mermaid (not yet blooming)...
catheyz8rr
Some Serious Spines ...
These look like some serious spines! But I love their...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
Snow last night wrecked my greenhouse....
Well, I beleive i had mentioned before how I was regretting...
cygnwulf
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™